Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Starting LANSuite602 2004 as a service
  Posted by  Harry Rikken  on Friday, May 28, 2004 at 6:20:17 AM (EST)
There are some serious problems starting the suite in Win2003 Server as a service. There is, however, a solution. With the Microsoft tool called 'SvrAny.exe'you can start any program you like as a service.
You can find the tool in the resource kits of WinXP and Win2003 server.
Do the following: copy SrvAny.exe to the \windows\system32 dir.
Go to the command prompt and type:
sc create ServAny binPath= c:\windows\system32\srvany.exe

You should now discover the name ServAny in the services overview (admin tools).
No go to the registry with the regedit command. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ServAny
Add 1 keys called "Parameters".
Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ServAny\Parameters
Add two string values:
1: "Appdirectory" with the directory name where the LAN602 app is installed (like: C:\Program Files\Software602\602LAN SUITE\).
2: "Application" with the full application name that has to be started (like: C:\Program Files\Software602\602LAN SUITE\Lansuite.exe)

This works perfectly!
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, May 28, 2004 at 10:01:51 AM (EST)
Uhh..what serious problems are you referring to?

I have set up LS for a client on a win2003 box and it worked perfectly without this tool. Maybe you're not running the software under a system account or something.
  Posted by Harry Rikken  on Friday, May 28, 2004 at 12:23:33 PM (EST)
Look at the topic:

"The LANSUITE service hung on starting."

further on in the list.There you can read what's happening. I've also noticed that on some PC's the service was started like it should but on some PC's it doesn't. It is indeed a very strange and intermitting problem.
  Posted by Andy Osewalt  on Saturday, June 12, 2004 at 2:58:56 AM (EST)
Harry,

With your tip, all my Win 2003 problems have been solved. I don't know how to thank you. I also learned a little in the process. If anyone needs Lansuite on a 2003 system....For now, do it _this_ way. Andy
  Posted by Harry Rikken  on Saturday, June 12, 2004 at 3:55:42 AM (EST)
You're welcome, Andy.
  Posted by Andy Osewalt  on Saturday, June 12, 2004 at 4:07:28 AM (EST)
no Thank You!
  Posted by John Crawford  on Monday, June 14, 2004 at 3:13:22 PM (EST)
I noticed the syntax does not work on Windows 2000 Server.

Below is step by step for 2000 server:

If you have the Lan Suite installed as a service I recommend removing it before doing this.

First download the Windows 2003 Resource Kit Tools from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

You will next have to install the tools on an XP or Windows Server 2003 machine and locate the directory they were installed to.

Copy instsrv.exe and srvany.exe to the C:\Winnt\System32 folder on the target machine.

Go to the command prompt and type:
instsrv SrvAny c:\winnt\system32\srvany.exe

No go to the registry with the regedit command. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SrvAny

Add 1 keys called "Parameters" by right clicking on SrvAny and selecting add New/Key.

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ServAny\Parameters
Add two string values by right clicking Parameters and selecting New/String Value.

Name the first string value Appdirectory. Name the second string Application.

Double click Appdirectory and type in the Value Data space:
"C:\Program Files\Software602\602LAN SUITE"
Where C: is the partition where Lan Suite is installed. Quote marks need to used for paths with spaces. If not sure leave the quote marks.
Click OK.

Double click Application and type in the Value Data space:
"C:\Program Files\Software602\602LAN SUITE\Lansuite.exe"
Where C: is the partition where Lan Suite is installed. Quote marks need to used for paths with spaces. If not sure leave the quote marks.
Click OK.

Reboot
  Posted by Ian Barton  on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 at 4:34:13 PM (EST)
Harry and John's solutions certainly fix this problem (I have tried it on Windows 2000 Pro).

But... I've noticed that the memory usage of 602LAN is much higher (and constant) when running using SrvAny. It sits around 20Mb and stays there. When run as a normal Windows service, it starts high (around 18Mb) but drops down below 10Mb when there's little activity.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a known feature of SrvAny?

I've decided to live with the errors in the Event Log and start it Automatically.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.