Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Socket is not connected with outlook 2002
  Posted by  Cengiz Alkan  on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 4:37:58 AM (EST)
I am getting "socked is not connected" error when I try to retrieve e-mails via pop3 server with outlook 2002. Outlook error is "connection timed out". Everything is fine with outlook 2000 and webmail.

It happens 90% of the time and it intermittently works and retrieves messages. I increased connection time out time in outlook with no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 1:03:26 PM (EST)
Are you trying to access a fully qualified domain name or the IP address of your LAN SUITE server?

You should configure your mail client so it doesn't go to "someserver.com", but to "192.168.1.1" or whatever IP address you have set up as your internal LAN IP.
  Posted by Cengiz Alkan  on Friday, January 10, 2003 at 1:40:58 PM (EST)
I have a static IP and my own fully qualified domain name. No matter I set the pop server in outlook to my server's address name or ip number, it doesn't work. Strange thing is it works once in a while after many try. And it also works fine with older versions of outlook. I installed all the serrvice packs for office XP and outlook.
  Posted by John Anderson  on Sunday, January 12, 2003 at 12:41:24 AM (EST)
This worked fine for me if I pointed outlooks pop and smtp to my server ip address (ie: 192.168.1.1) and set the username/password to that defined in Lan Suite instead of the actual username/password for pop3 logon at the ISP.
  Posted by Steve Chambers  on Friday, January 17, 2003 at 6:57:24 PM (EST)
I'm having the same problems as you
Cengiz. I had no problems with office 2000 but ever since i installed office xp i get the winsock error in the log file. Plus the irritating outlook error.
“Task 'xxxxxxxx - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'”
I have not changed any settings in LanSuite and I have double checked my account settings in outlook. They are the same as before.
Have you found a solution yet?
  Posted by Phillip Shaw  on Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 1:10:58 PM (EST)
I have been experiencing the same "winsock error" that you describe for months now only to be told by tech support that it's a microsoft (outlook, outlook express) problem...I really don't think so! Same problem with Lansuite on 2 different server installs using outlook and outlook express different clients and from both Win2000 and WinXP on different computers form the same P2P network.

It occurs at least 70% of the time when sending and receiving. I end up having to exit and restart the client over and over until it connects and works...sometimes it just works on the first try and after the client has been open a few minutes, problem happens and then I cannot send and receive without saving work to draft and exiting and restarting...usually several times

I have tried every possible configuration I can think of short of standing on my head when hitting the send/recieve button and obviously, without result.

I'm certainly open to suggestions.

I really have to add...
602 wants you to spend $$$ for a support contract but when you call them with a problem they don't want to deal with it...only blame other running applications, your configuration, setup...last night's full moon...whatever to just get you off the phone quickly and go away...certainly not working with you thru to a resolution.
  Posted by Serge Lesouef  on Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 10:10:47 PM (EST)
First, you must determine if it is a name resolution which takes too long, a proxy setting or a pop3 server problem.
So do what John said, put yr lansuite ip address as pop3 server in yr mail client account to eliminate the first reason and 2nd reason. And to check yr PC config is correct, try to collect yr mail directly from yr ISP's server if you have one
  Posted by Phillip Shaw  on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 10:38:38 AM (EST)
I have already tried your suggestions...domain name as well as my IP; mail is not coming thru ISP but it is coming thru just fine so getting it as far as lansuite is not the problem (i can view it just sitting in lansuite...challenging me to try and take it) via the log so rule that out. Retrieving it by the client program from lansuite is where the problem happens. Sometimes (+/- 50%) when a client is loaded, it will initially work just fine but after a few minutes, it will error out. In order for it to work again, I must exit and reload the client...sometimes as many as 5, 6 or 7x. This is a static IP, dedicated WinXP Pro machine with very little else running and certainly no port conflicts, etc.

Like I already stated, it's now happened on 2 servers with ALL of the nodes...they are all either Win2000 or WinXP so I rule them out. Sometimes it makes the connection and then is doesn't. We always get our mail...it's just that sometimes we have to fight for it.

My network config is bridging a static ip thru my cayman router to the machine running lansuite; dhcp is being handled by the router (set for bridging and routing).
  Posted by Jan Vdberg  on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 at 5:05:11 AM (EST)
Whicj operating system do you use on you pro lan server? If you are using win2000 you first have to instaal pro lan suite and then you must instaal SP4 network installation, not ex[press installation! It will work fine now. The problem is not on your clients but on your server.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.