Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
VPN Through Firewall?
  Posted by  Ralph Phillips  on Monday, November 03, 2003 at 9:19:47 AM (EST)
Has anyone set up Microsoft's VPN software through the firewall with Lan Suite 2003 yet? I've got a customer that wants to access his business network from his house, and even setting protocol 47 through the firewall and mapping the internal server on port 1723 to the firewall outside port 1723, I can not get into the internal server.

My other choice is to set up PCAnywhere.

Of course, with fixed IPs on both sides, I can map to just the home DSL link ... but I'd rather get the VPN working right.

RwP
  Posted by Leander Vanderbijl  on Monday, November 10, 2003 at 5:35:24 PM (EST)
I haven't tried with MS VPN but finally got the Nortel Contivity VPN to connect through the mapped links. See my posts here: http://support.software602.com/forum/view.asp?cid=8&gid=9005

You don't need port 47 open. Just open udp 500 and a nat traversal ip on the vpn server and you should be through.
  Posted by Andy Sharrem  on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at 9:53:48 PM (EST)
I am making steady progress with MS VPN Server.
VPN mini ports are recognized as "Dial Up Adapter".

If LS2003 runs on the VPN server then the "Dial Up Adapter" must be part of the "Internal network".
You can test most of this by making a VPN connection to itself. This will aslo check to see the RRAS sever allocates IP addresses from the DHCP server correctly.

If you need the "Dial up Adapter" outside the firewall, I suggest a W2k pro workstation as the LS2003 gateway and the RRAS server behind the firewall.
You will still need 1723 tcp/udp and IP 47 to pass thru the firewall.

I am attempting to get RRAS VPN and LS2003 running on the same server. I am so very close...but found a bug in my Netgear external DSL modem firmware that will crash the modem when a inbound VPN occurs.

I will post a complete setup soon...
  Posted by Andy Sharrem  on Friday, December 12, 2003 at 4:18:45 PM (EST)
MS VPN now all working. Pretty tricky though.
Firstly the VPN Server and LS must be on the same server. This is because LS cannot map IP 47,50,51 ( anything other than TCP or UDP ).
As I said before, MSVPN is recognized as dial up adapter, so ideally you have 2 NICS, a router with VPN pass through (not supported by Netgear DM602 by the way), and can make the dial up adapter part of the internal network.
I now have an Internal DSL adapter that is also recognized as Dial up Adapter, so my firewall config had to have DUA as external but allow internal IPs to pass thru.
mailto:andy@ic4u.net.nz
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.