Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Excessive resource usage
  Posted by  Michael Vanrooyen  on Monday, October 27, 2003 at 5:27:26 PM (EST)
When lansuite runs, it seems to go through cycles where it consumes vast amounts of memory, cpu, and udp ports and grinds the system to a halt. To the point where it can't even be shut down from the services control panel.

On start-up it is usually about 12M. Then, even though it is idle, it gets into a cycle where the memory gradually increases to in excess of 70M, consuming much CPU. A netstat -a shows lots of sequential UDP ports in use (like 300 or more). These aren't there when lansuite is not running. For example:

UDP mars:4050 *.*
UDP mars:4051 *.*

I have run lansuite happily for years. I recently upgraded to 2003 which may have started the problem. My suspicion is that it may have to do with some residual firewall setting, even though I turned firewall off. But this is just a hunch. I even tried rollong back to older version of program and configs, but the problem remains.

I'm stumped. Any leads will be much appreciated. Thanks.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, October 27, 2003 at 5:38:04 PM (EST)
Do you have the firewall turned on? My guess is that it's being used by the firewall and someone's trying to port scan you. The firewall is being logged to a separate log file (fw.log) and is not turned on by default. Turn it on and see what kind of activity you're getting. I bet you're being portscanned.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, October 27, 2003 at 5:41:33 PM (EST)
Duh, nevermind. I missed that part where you said it was running. how about IP filter?

I'm running LS Antivirus on my system right now and I'm not exhibiting this issue at all. The server's been up for well over a week and the memory footprint is 7956k according to task manager.

Posted by Michael Vanrooyen  on Monday, October 27, 2003 at 6:09:52 PM (EST)
I do use the IP filter to limit access to lansuite services. I've had the problem even while not connected to the internet, which rules out port scanning. Part of the problem is that it's quite erratic. Right now, it's idle and cosuming 16M, working just fine. Is it possible that there is some bad registry setting that is confusing lansuite and causing this?
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 at 12:21:40 AM (EST)
As a surjestion, run a malware/spyware check on your system. Maybe you have picked something up; and the upgrade to LS2003 happened about the same time.

Are you running a firewall at all? I use Sygate personal firewall. Amoung other things, it tells me what applications are using the connections listed in the netstat command.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.