Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Blank / Bad URL
  Posted by  Peter Moore  on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 at 6:38:23 AM (EST)
Hi,

When users access a website and want to view an acrobat file which is viewed via the websites custom console LAN Suite is flooded with:

Bad URL
Blank URL
Connection Closed

Additionaly our apple mac users when attempting to login to Hotmail get a connection closed message when they click login on the hotmail site.

Any ideas to get this sorted????
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 at 10:33:24 AM (EST)
Sounds like that special app is causing problems. I can load the user manual for LS in the web interface, so I think you're looking at a problem with the app. Maybe it's trying to use a different port?

I know nothing about Mac, so I couldn't tell you about that second part. I do know there are some Mac users lurking around here though.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 at 8:37:26 PM (EST)
I used to have problem with Bad/blank URLs, and SMTP requests timing out.

The problem turned out to be related to my MTU of Windows XP and my router. I believe Windows XP defaults to a MTU of 1500 and my router had a maxium size of 1492. So no matter how I changed the routers MTU I could not get rid of the smtp time outs. Just recently I found out how to change windows MTU. And once I got my router and windows in sync, the bad urls and smtp time out stopped.

Do you have a setup that might get a MTU conflict?

This is the link to how to change windows MTU, just in case you need it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315008
  Posted by Peter Moore  on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 7:46:59 AM (EST)
Hi,

Thank you for you reply, i appreciate it.

I've tried amending my MTU but with no avail.

My setup is as follows.

Computer1 with DSL connection.
IP: 192.168.0.3

Computer2 networked to Computer1.
IP: 192.168.0.21

Both Comp1 and Comp2 use the proxy service held on Comp1.

Neither Computer is able to utilize the website correctly.

Snapshot of log:

Request: www.insite.southernprint.co.uk:443
Proxy
2292B/2s
Connection closed.
192.168.0.3 Connection has arrived.
Request: http://217.33.209.123/
Proxy
0B/22s
Connection closed.

Bad URL
Blank URL
Connection closed

Bad URL
Blank URL
Connection closed

End Snapshot.

During this the last block of text is repeated continuasly presumably due to the applet requesting the page.

There are 1 SOCKS and 4 PROXY connections during this process.

The firewall is disabled. The IP filter is not interfearing either.

Lastly prior to using 2003 I was using 2000 without any problems using this southernprint site.

I'm still at a loss as to why after upgrading to a newer version of LAN Suite i would start to have problems using this site. When i'm not using the proxy the site works fine.

Thanks in advance.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 10:07:21 AM (EST)
I can access that site just fine through the proxy by dropping the :443. It appears that this site redirects to an SSL site, which is fine.. I don't think this is a problem with with your LS config. I think it's a problem with your browser setup or the MTU as mentioned earlier.

Make sure you have the SSL proxy configured to go through port 80 in your client. I'm pretty sure the products page still has configuration steps you need to take for Netscape and IE, and I'm also pretty sure there's Mozilla and Opera setup instructions in the KB. I'll help you if you have any specific questions as long as it's not related to your mac users. I'm afraid the last time I touched a Mac it was during the 7.x OS days...
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 at 10:40:31 PM (EST)
I have managed to reproduce the bad/ blank url problem.

You go to the site, select the 'troubleshooting' link. Then near the botton you will see another link "Run Proxy and Smart Review Tests". If you select this link, you go into that bad/blank url repeating sequence. The only way I could get the 'Run Proxy ...' link to work was to turn the LS2003 proxy off.
  Posted by Peter Moore  on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 5:34:32 AM (EST)
Hi Russell,

Thats my problem exactly!! Thanks for finding that link, it should make finding the solution (if any) a lot easier!! :)

I have emailed support who hopefully will be able to give a reason and solution to the problem.

I will keep everyone updated as soon as i hear anything.

In the mean time if anyone can resolve this please please let me know :)

Thanks
  Posted by Peter Moore  on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 10:47:00 AM (EST)
UPDATE: Response from support.

This page appears to open a java applet.

The error you received indicates that it is trying to communicate on a port
other than port 80, or it is using a "push" to retrieve information
regarding the proxy or clients. SOCKS5 proxy servers do not allow this type
of java applet, the "Bad URL" errors indicate the Push is being rejected.

The only way you will get this java applet to work would be to use a NAT- based proxy server such as Internet Connection Sharing to access this page.
We do not provide support for any sort of Java applets because they
technically break the SOCKS proxy standards.
  Posted by M Blande  on Thursday, October 23, 2003 at 11:52:10 AM (EST)
Simple solution (with a but). Remove the direct connection of the LS machine to the web and get a router in place. You can then eliminate the proxy restrictions on select users in your system. This sets up a more secure from the web system but you then have to keep a close eye on users. You can then setup the router to block or unblock network to internet access for individual users. Works much better than the LS mapping.
  Posted by Peter Moore  on Monday, October 27, 2003 at 6:25:51 AM (EST)
Hi guys,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has posted offering their support and advice.

I'm glad to tell everyone that i found a workaround and the actual solution to my problem.

Firstly the actual solution for this and the apple mac was to tell the client browser to use port 1080 (socks) for all services e.g. HTTP, SECURE, FTP etc. This has sorted my problem with no obvious negative impact.

My workaround was to enable ICS on the terminal running LAN Suite and set the default gateway on the client terminals to that of the LAN Suite terminal. You will of course need to turn off any proxy settings you have. LAN Suite's firewall also appears not be be compromised by ICS.

Thanks again guys.

P
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.