Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro PC SUITE 2001 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Error message on 602text exit
  Posted by  Chris Brocklebank  on Thursday, November 08, 2001 at 2:08:10 PM (EST)
On closing down 602Text, I get the error message "error writing Macro ini file", click OK and 602Text shuts down normally and will restart with no problem. No Macro's have been created, OS is Win2K with SP2.

Anyone got any idea's please?

Chris
  Posted by John Mcneilly  on Tuesday, December 04, 2001 at 10:46:47 AM (EST)
I'm getting the same thing. I have eight new laptops that due to other proprietary software issues, have been loaded, formatted, oaded, formatted, and are now on their third loading. The first two times this never occurred on any machine, but now it occurs on every machine but only in regular users' profiles. This does not happen in the admin profile. Did you also notice that the page is displayed differently under the user than the administrator? I'm thinking that this is a permissions issue, or registry lockdown issue, and will be playing with it today to resolve it.
  Posted by Queen elizabeths community col Queen elizabeths co  on Saturday, December 15, 2001 at 1:42:26 PM (EST)
Hi John

Yes it seems to be a permissions thing. Our users can only save to a folder of their own on the server, I'm presuming 602 is trying to write or update a file on the local PC.

We are using 602 on over 50 PC's now, apart from the very infrequent 602 crash - it performs very well. We have it running on W95, 98, Win 2K and NT4, the kids find it very easy to use.

The only "bug-bear" I have is the file association, the earlier version of 602 let you choose to have it or not, the new version doesn't - wish they would fix that.

Chris
  Posted by John Mcneilly  on Tuesday, December 18, 2001 at 4:32:19 PM (EST)
It appears that if the user becomes a Power User, the issues go away. That did the trick for me, having inadvertantly elevated their permissions for some other proprietary software.
  Posted by Queen elizabeths community col Queen elizabeths co  on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 at 3:58:00 PM (EST)
Hi John,

Yep, making a user a power user stops the problem. However as this is a school, I don't think I'm going to give some of the more bright ones the opportunity to "play".

We don't let the pupils have total free access to floppy drives. If they want to load up work created at home, I have a stand-alone PC they can run an AV program on which I or one of the teachers can monitor. If the AV passes OK then I'll unlock a cupboard that has a PC they can access that will still AV check the floppy. They have to log-in with their own username etc and copy it to their folder.

Teachers I trust even less - I do it for them!

Chris
  Posted by John Mcneilly  on Wednesday, December 19, 2001 at 6:08:58 PM (EST)
Hi Chris

Yes, I understand not wanting to give Power User status. Here we have proprietary software that orders $100,000 big rigs, and to update the license (which expires every 14 days) I was told by the vendor to give--get this--full administrative permissions to all users, so the SQL client could run and updating could occur. Knowing that some users have in the past compalined about how hard it is to retrieve email (a single point and click), I was ecstatic about that news. Not!! I foundd that Power User was necessary to run the SQL client, and in so doing, whatever minor 602 issues existed went away. I can't tighten permissions down or restrict services because dependencies will fail, so I'll never know just what specific things 602 needs to operate. Being as this proprietary software was 2.5 years late rolling out and several millions of dollars to develop, I don't think I'll have much opportunity to fiddle with permissions. Oh well, with users like mine, the focus is on disaster recovery. Cheers.
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.