Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro PC SUITE 2001 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
TAB freezes when opening XLS-file
  Posted by  Renzo Kooi  on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 8:03:55 AM (EST)
I can't open a certain not all to complex XLS-file with TAB. The program freezes and I have to end it manually (Win2K SP4). Other XLS-files *do* open. Where should I look for a solution?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 10:01:10 AM (EST)
How big is the file? Usually "hangs" are caused by system resource issues. Try closing down everything you can except for 602Tab and open the file again.
  Posted by Renzo Kooi  on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 1:40:41 PM (EST)
Thanks for your answer, it did put me on the right track: the file (really, a simple workbook) was 6Mb. Editing it with MsExcel I discovered there's a huge prize in having a complete column formatted and every cell filled with a formula. Removing both, the resulting filesize was ... 47Kb. Opened like a breaze in TAB. Still, I like to add that a 6Mb file shouldn't be a problem on a 1.8 P4 with 1Gb RAM.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 3:32:50 PM (EST)
Actually, there's a little more to it than just opening a file. It has to render the file which takes a lot of memory, for example. Sure, a 6MB plaintext file would open no problem with that amount of RAM, but a 6MB Excel file is HUGE and will take considerably more memory to open than just a plain text file.
  Posted by Renzo Kooi  on Friday, September 26, 2003 at 3:57:05 PM (EST)
Thanks again. I suppose it's the algorithm that counts: opening (and rendering) the 6Mb file in Excel takes half a second, in TAB it freezes the application. Anyway, concerning the filesize: grows particularly when applying background color to a large amount of cells, in TAB also.
Further exploration revealed that re-applying the background color for the same amount of cells within the TAB application and saving it with TAB resulted in half the filesize of Excel and normal loading of that file in TAB. Yep, I'm beginning to like TAB as a replacement for MS-Excel.
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.