Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Memory Leak?
  Posted by   on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 8:54:51 AM (EST)
Question: We have had LanSuite installed on this PC for quite some time without problems. After updating to Win2K Service Pack 4 and upgrading from LS2002 to LS2003 the application seems to suffer from a memory leak. What happened before is that the process' "mem usage" in the task manager would climb and eventually generate a error that there was not sufficient virtual memory.

There are approx. 15 users on the network. LS has the fax server, pop3, smtp, ldap and web turned on. The firewall and secure services are off.

We have 256MB Ram in the PC. I have bumped up the amount of pagefile to 1 file of 1024MB (set at the minimum and maximum size so that windows won't adjust the size. I have defragmented the pagefile using PageDefrag from sysinternals.

We have upgraded to the latest (August 28?) release of LS2003 and now the mem usage goes up and down, but never climbs as high as before (it stays below 80MB). The problem is that the commit charge (memory) gradually increases again until you run out of memory. If you have the task manager open and view the mem usage history graph and then shutdown LS, the mem usage line immediately drops from the top of the graph (after running 12 to 24 hours) to the bottom. Then after you start LS, the line on the graph will rise again over the next 12-24 hours again.

I had noticed that when I installed the LS2003 over LS2002, there was an error that socksini.dll could not be written, however I fixed that with the August update (LS is on the local drive, however the drive is shared and I changed the share to read and write permissions)

This problem is getting to be really annoying and the client is getting tired of restarting LS every 2 days when the server bogs down.

Is there anything that can be done short of reinstalling the OS and application? Could it be that there are some damaged files in LS and can we track them down?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 10:40:28 AM (EST)
I've not had any problems with any kind of memory leaks..but I would suggest you try reinstalling LS and see if that helps. I don't think SP4 messed with anything to do with LS on my computer, but maybe with your specific configuration it did something.
  Posted by  on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 11:59:25 AM (EST)
I have reinstalled (over top of the existing configuration). First was when we upgraded from LS2002 to LS2003 and then I reinstalled LS2003. Finally several days ago we upgraded it to the August release of LS2003.

BTW since 8:00am this morning (it is now 11:00am) the total commit charge in the windows task manager has risen from about 130MB to 219MB and it is still rising.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, September 05, 2003 at 2:30:07 PM (EST)
I would say do a complete reinstall. Move your LS directory to c:\LANSUITE1\ and then reinstall the software. This would create a new lansuite directory, and would also guarantee a clean copy of the software.

I've been piping all my traffic through LS all day trying to see what is going on (win2k pro/sp4), and i'm not seeing a significant increase in system resourves consumption (sitting right at about 20MB), so I would venture to say this is going to be either something installation specific or something that SP4 did to your OS based on your configuration.
  Posted by Kiroubel Girma  on Wednesday, September 17, 2003 at 12:18:32 PM (EST)
Hi,

I had the same issues when I first upgraded LS2002 to LS2003.

I also use Win2K but with Service Pack 3.

It turned out that the LDAP server was the culprit. When I disabled it things went back to normal.

I re-enabled it another time and observed the same memory issues that slowed down the PC.

The LDAP server is not very useful in my environment anyway, so I don't miss that feature.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.