Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro PC SUITE 2001 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
wrongly associating Word with text
  Posted by  Murdoch Matthew  on Sunday, August 31, 2003 at 7:04:43 PM (EST)
Is there a way to get word processing files which were processed in Microsoft Word back to having the MS Word symbol and not the software602 text symbol T?

Background:
I messed up when I installed pc suite to my computer. I said yes to associating software602 text with Word. What that did was it changed all the W symbols on my documents to T. And when I clicked on the file in Windows it would open a Word file using software602 text as the default. One of the frequently asked questions on the help site for PCsuite helped to take care of that and reset MS Word as the default program to open these sorts of files. It was the question about Wordperfect which helped me get out of that mess.

Now I have a minor glitch of having Software602 as the symbol on files which I haven't written in 602 text but in Microsoft Word 2000. I would love to find out an easy way to get my old symbols back.

Murdoch Matthew
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 at 10:27:50 AM (EST)
Try this Knowledge Base topic:

http://support.software602.com/kb/view.aspx?articleID=469
  Posted by Murdoch Matthew  on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 at 12:48:21 AM (EST)
Thank you for clarifying things. I had done this and now when I click on an MS Word file, I can open the file in Word without first having to open the MS Word program.

I found a help thing in msword which told me how to change the icon symbol for my Word files too. I clicked on view on the mycomputer icon and then when down to folder options, then clicked on file types.

But I still get a weird feeling that something has been changed that I didn't want changed. I wonder whether I might uninstall Word and reinstall it to see if that would help.

Now I don't get anything when I click on the thing at all. I don't know what I did. It tells me that I am missing the software 602 program to open it.

Gary

Murdoch
  Posted by Murdoch Matthew  on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 at 1:06:04 AM (EST)
I am sorry I garbled my previous message. To clarify, yes, I followed your advice and now can click into my msword files when I want to get into them without first having to open the microsoft word program. But the files are still listed as software 602 text files when they were composed in Word and I want to keep them in Word.

I got the symbol for these files to change back to a Word icon by clicking on mycomputer and then going to view and then folder options, file types, registered files, and then 602text document. Then I clicked on edit. And then I changed the icon for the files. (AT one point I had hit set default by mistake and was unable to click into my word files at all. I was told that windows lacked the program exe file!!!! somehow I got out of that)

Thank you for all your help.

Murdoch

I would love to know how to resort to having my old word files be simply word files. I want to be able to have text602 file and word files separate. ON my other computer, this is what I have.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 at 10:06:27 AM (EST)
it's because of the ".doc" association.

PC Suite asks you during the installation process if you want to associate the files with PC Suite. Leaving the checkmarks in the boxes indicate you want to associate the files with PC suite. Removing the checkmarks indicates you do not.

Sounds to me like you left the checkmarks in the boxes, not that it matters anyways as this is easily fixed using the Knowledge Base topic I told you about yesterday.
  Posted by Murdoch Matthew  on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 at 1:30:41 PM (EST)
Thank you, Robert, for reassuring me. Yes, I did something with the check marks when I installed the program. I clicked on the thing for Word and then left the other thing checked.

Now things seem fine.

Murdoch Matthew
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.