Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Open relay
  Posted by  Edward Winter  on Thursday, August 28, 2003 at 8:46:23 AM (EST)
Testing your smtp server on http://ordb.org results as a open relay.

The following line will appear in the log file:
'Invalid header line encountered - line ignored.'

This bug was fixed with the previous release (2002.0.03.0212 Released February 12, 2003) but is back with the latest release (2003.0.03.0609
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, August 28, 2003 at 10:13:27 AM (EST)
No, the bug that was fixed was the invalid header lines caused LS to crash.

You will still get invalid header lines when receiving mail. this has absolutely nothing to do with LS, but is a problem with the SMTP server from which you are receiving the mail. Specifically, they are not complying with RFC standards for headers.

You usually see this with spammers.
  Posted by Edward Winter  on Thursday, August 28, 2003 at 10:21:35 AM (EST)
Yeah, but http://ordb.org will blacklist your smtp server.

It already happened to me, and it gives a lot of troubles.
e-mails will not reached mail servers where above site is used to block spam.

So I think this has to be solved, don't you think?

Regards,

Edward
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, August 28, 2003 at 1:06:12 PM (EST)
But you don't understand something.

RFC standards are the rules of the Internet. These are like rules for driving. Just because someone wants to break the speed limit doesn't mean the roads should be redesigned to accomodate them breaking the law. RFC standards define how mail should be sent and received via SMTP servers, which is THE ONLY standard for MTA (Mail transport-- for the record, IMAP is not an MTA protocol).

If the other SMTP server does not comply with the rules, how is it Software602's problem?

This exact kind of thinking is why we have buggy Microsoft software that people just deal with. Rather than an outcry to have the buggy software fixed right the first time, developers just deal with it and write around the problem.

Perhaps you're getting set as an open relay because you did not set your relay options correctly. This is described in the Help file, the knowledge base, the user manual an even here on the forums. I would suggest you look at your setup rather than attacking the software. I have dozens of clients who do not have a problem with an open relay because they are set up correctly to deny mail. And yes, they get the "invalid header" error, but it does not crash their copy of LS, which is what was fixed in the build.
  Posted by Edward Winter  on Friday, August 29, 2003 at 2:47:30 AM (EST)
I'm aware of what you are saying.
And you are wright about those rules.

I've tested my smtp server at http://ordb.org and with the switch turned on for relaying to 602 lansuite users only, looking in my log everything is rejected except for the message "Invalid header line encountered - line ignored...".
So I did my job to 'close' relaying from outside. But the fact was and still is, my smtp server is blacklisted now by ordb.org. Just because of this on and only (test) message where my smtp server 'failed' (in terms of ordb.org).
So how should I handle this now?

Regards and thanks for your reply,

Edward
  Posted by Edward Winter  on Friday, August 29, 2003 at 3:12:50 AM (EST)
Oh, and by the way, I never mentioned that lansuite crashed on my smtp server. Reading the messages now I see that this so called build was made to prevent crashing lansuite and not blocking this 'spammers' trick.

So I think, 'let 602software come with a solution'. And if this must be a software solution or talk to ordb.org, as long as this problem is solved. Because I'm a very satisfied customer. I just want to state this problem, which everyone can get if they test their smtp server at http://ordb.org.

I suggest you try it. Test your smtp server. It will be an open relay at ordb.org and it will be blacklisted.
Then try to send me an e-mail at the follwing address: postmaster@winter-smith.i-tune.nl
I can tell you, it will not arrive. And you know why!

Regards,

Edward
  Posted by Douglas Rosenberg  on Friday, August 29, 2003 at 5:21:00 PM (EST)
Did you try the link on ordb.org that removes your server from their database? Here is what it says:

Removal
In order to have your relay removed from ORDB, simply resubmit it to our checking queue by following the link below.
Please note that it may take up to 72 hours before your request is actually processed, and that your host will only be removed from ORDB, if our check confirms that your server no longer is an open relay. This means, that even if you have fixed one configuration error on your server, there may be more errors, resulting in our continued listing your server as an open relay.

To resubmit your host, follow this link.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Friday, August 29, 2003 at 6:38:48 PM (EST)
Have you a SMTP relay IP filter set up?

I have defined 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 as the only addresses that can access my SMPT server.

If you are not using NAT addressing, then you would use your IP address as the filter.
  Posted by Edward Winter  on Saturday, August 30, 2003 at 2:54:21 PM (EST)
Okay everybody,

602 software made an update of LAN suite on the 28th of august....
That's strange, did they respond on my bug report?

Well I already installed this update and wil test my smtp server again on monday at ordb.org.
By the way, I tested my smtp server last friday (before I even installed the update) and due to slow connections ordb.org replied that my smtp server was not an open relay anymore....pfffff.

I hope that this new build (2003.0.03.0828) will solve the problem. I will let you know on monday.

Regards,
  Posted by Edward Winter  on Tuesday, September 02, 2003 at 7:15:36 AM (EST)
Hi again,

Ordb.org would not test my smtp server now due to the fact that's been released as not an open relay anymore. It take 2-3 weeks before I can test my smtp server at their site again.

I will reply when I've done the test again.

Regards.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.