Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
SMTP from outside does not connect
  Posted by  Craig Lindsey  on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 1:28:14 AM (EST)
I have had this working, but yesterday afternoon the system quit recieving email from external systems. I can connect to it from an internal system and send outgoing SMTP messages, but the incoming connections from exteral sources seem to never connect and look to eventually timeout.

I had BlackIce on the system as a firewall but took it off as a troubleshooting step. I have since put in a Cisco Pix firewall as the front-end for this system to connect to the Internet, but that has made no difference, other than allowing me to see the incoming connections with a little more detail. What I currently see is an incoming connection through the Pix to the LS server which times out after 2 minutes because of getting no response from the SYN packet. I never see any indication that this hits the LS system. Everything on the Pix looks to be configured correctly, as it shows the incoming connection being translated to the correct IP address.

But don't get off on the wrong track that it is a problem with the Pix, since I did not have it in the picture when the problem originally appeared. It just lets me see what is going on a little better. Also, don't think that it is simply the LS system not answering on port 25 (port conflict or similar), since an internal system can connect on that port.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas????

Posted by Craig Lindsey  on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 6:18:46 AM (EST)
Looking back through the logs, this is the last "incoming from an external system" log entries:

4:00:26 AM SMTP: [4] '198.144.7.125' [198.144.7.125] connected.
4:00:26 AM SMTP: [4] SMTP connection to '198.144.7.125' established.
4:00:38 AM SMTP: [4] Receiving message to 'C:\LANSUITE\io\internet\2eefb181.d'.
4:01:13 AM SMTP: Processing message '2eefb17f.x'/'2eefb17f.d'
4:01:16 AM SMTP: Anti-virus checking of incoming message 2EEFB182: message is clean.
4:01:18 AM SMTP: Anti-virus checking of incoming message 2EEFB183: message is clean.
4:01:19 AM SMTP: Message delivered to 2 local users.
4:01:19 AM SMTP: Total processed 1 RFC-822 messages
4:10:50 AM SMTP: [4] Receiving of the message interrupted.
4:10:50 AM SMTP: [4] Connection error (Winsock: Connection timed out).

Maybe a message is hung? I see port 25 as being open, and like I said, I can connect from an internal system to send outgoing mail.

Still at a loss....
  Posted by Craig Lindsey  on Sunday, August 03, 2003 at 6:47:46 AM (EST)
Looking at my log, seeing that 4:00am was the last incoming mail prompted me to find what other files were created around that time. Found an update I had installed on BlackIce. Sooo...to make a long story short, when I *thought* I had stopped BlackIce from running, I had only stopped the "monitoring/configuration interface" and not the actual service. So..reloaded the configuration interface and stopped the service through there....and guess what? SMTP flowing again.

SHEESH...
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.