Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
eDock Server 2.1 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Disaster recovery
  Posted by  Installer Installer  on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 at 11:21:37 AM (EST)
I am thinking of using eDock server as a means of allowing sales staff to come into the office and access documents from their laptops (via Wireless LAN) or from the Internet. So far the testing looks pretty good - although I have yet to access the files over the Internet. I am a bit unsure as to what is backed up with the SQL database back-up option. For example, I am thinking of backing up to a second disk drive on the Windows 2000 PC hosting the eDock server. In the event of a hard disk failure, would I get all user settings and user data reinstated by re-installing the eDock server software and restoring the SQL database after replacing the hard disk?

As an aside - Windows 2000 Professional I believe, has a limit (10?) to the number of users that can access the workstation concurrently. Is this the case with eDock running on Windows Professional or is this circumvented by the use of the web server?

Thanks to anyone who can advise on these questions.

Regards,

Paul
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 at 12:11:56 PM (EST)
I believe the answer to your first question is "everything". Basically, all users, groups, settings and uploaded files with the exception of some basic server configuration stuff done during installation. You may want to confirm this with Software602, though. Email sales@software602.com.

For the second question, the 10 user limit in the Microsoft workstation product line only applies to connecting to a windows share. Since you're using a web server (and I would recommend NOT using IIS in this case as I believe it is limited on the workstation as well--There are instructions for installing eDock with Apache and LAN Suite in the Knowledge Base), you'd bypass this limitation. Even if you used the client, since it's not netbios file sharing, it should bypass this problem.
  Posted by Installer Installer  on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 5:20:08 AM (EST)
Thanks Robert, I thought that the 10 user limit was restricted in the way you suggest but wanted confirmation. Using LANSuite would avoid any 'throttling' introduced by Microsoft I guess.

I am wondering whether eDock and LANSuite could be used on a good quality PC running Win2k Professional instead of employing a 'proper' server for small businesses employing say 10 or less people? It would appear that it achieves most of what this type of business requires (centralised file & print, email, centralised anti-virus) at a fraction of the price of a 'proper' server and Win2k/Win2003 server O/S software. What's your thoughts on this?

For disaster recovery I would think that a ghosted image of the initial build plus regular back-up's to a second disk drive would allow a very quick recovery to be achieved.

Once again, thanks for your comments.

Regards,

Paul
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 12:22:29 PM (EST)
Sure, it's exactly the environment I sell to most of my clients. 10 users or so with eDock running on LAN Suite for their web server. I run it on a P4 1.7ghz machine w/512MB of ram and a 80-100GB hd and usually do some sort of broadband connection for them depending on their individual needs. The end up getting:

~Internet email that is accessable through the web (webmail)
~A fairly robust web server to host their web pages.
~Internet sharing that (unlike ICS and some of the other solutions) can be managed and filtered for content.
~Built-in Antivirus support that is automatically updated, so I don't have to do that for them.

..etc. Those are the big selling points for Lan Suite.

For eDock, they get:
~Centralized file sharing with anonymous access.
~Only have to back up one file because everything is stored in the db.
~Ability to access the files over the Internet/from home without VPN (which is VERY expensive)
~Security. A lot of the companies I do this for are law and/or doctor offices. They love eDock because it's secure and they can use it as a patient/client document repository.

Wow. I sound like a salesman. :) eDock is really, really a nice program and has a ton of potental simply because there's not really anything quite like it out there.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 12:24:14 PM (EST)
Oh, I forgot to mention the OS. Win2k professional works great. I've done a few XP installs and it's slightly slower, but not really that noticable. We're just now getting into Windows 2003, and I don't think eDock is supported quite yet under Win2003, but I do know the new LAN Suite is.
  Posted by Installer Installer  on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 1:42:01 PM (EST)
Hi Robert,

Sounds like you have got it all sorted!

I have not tried the remote access part yet - been thinking about this though. It would be great for the sales guy on the road type situation.

If you are using a modem only on your e-mail/edock server how do the users access the e-dock/webmail services? (We can't get broadband at one of our offices) as it is in the middle of nowhere according to the broadband supply companies - in fact we are only 1-2km from one of the London airports!!!! Also where we do have broadband, we always use a NAT router/firewall for protection/Internet sharing - how do you overcome this? The IP addresses on the private side of NAT are non-routable. Also, as an added twist, our broadband provider allocates our IP address through DHCP and do change it regularly to avoid us having a fixed IP address. I guess this allows them to charge us extra for a fixed IP address?

Where are you located? Are you in the UK?

Regards,

Paul
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 at 4:48:30 PM (EST)
With LAN Suite, if you are using dialup it gets a little tricky because every time you dial up you will get a different IP address.

I've gotten around it on some services by using an IP poster and have it post to a web page. From there the users go to that IP address/mail/ and they're in.

With the broadband/router combination it's much easier. At least here, we get at least a "sticky" IP address that changes only every once in a while. We use a dynamic IP service for that (no-ip.com). With the NAT routers, it lasts even longer because the DHCP lease keeps getting renewed on time.

The NAT routers should have some kind of port fowarding function that allows you to forward port 80 to an internal IP. Just forward it to your server. If you want to use the eDock Client, you have to forward ports 5000-5003 to the server.

I live and work in Atlanta, Georgia (USA).
  Posted by Joe Forman  on Sunday, September 07, 2003 at 9:05:54 AM (EST)
Regarding remote use, I have a mixed experience with the edock from two different servers. My LA office server, running W2kpro, was very slow for remote use when there were a lot of files in a particular folder when using the win client. My West Palm, Fl office server has the same problem from time to time but less severe. In both cases I have had minimial problems when using the web interface. The bottom line is that the client is somewhat iffy but the web interface is very powerful and consistent.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, September 12, 2003 at 11:14:11 AM (EST)
From what I gather, the client shouldn't be used over the Internet because it uses UDP to stream data. As we all know UDP doesn't verify packets like TCP does.

I would imagine the software was designed this way so it could only be used on a lan because the sheer amount of retransmission needed to get a file to a destination would probably nearly double the transmission time. On a LAN this would not be a problem at all.
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.