Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Antivirus Addition differences?
  Posted by  Marshall Lai  on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 10:45:15 AM (EST)
What exactly is the difference between the Antivirus edition and the standard edition? I have the unlimited edition and paying USD300 for automatic updates to the antivirus engine seems a bit hefty to me. Besides AVG works just fine (except for the requirement to shutdown LS2002/LS2003 for every update.....)
  Posted by Peter Murphy  on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 10:58:22 AM (EST)
Just got off the phone with Software602 about this very subject. Here's what they said:

1.) The non-antivirus version has NO antivirus support. Period. If you have AVG, it will still detect viruses when the mail is written to the hard drive, but it will NOT check mail.

2.) The Antivirus version uses Bitdefender which is an ISCA Labs certified antivirus solution. It is completely integrated into the software and are completely automated with an option to upgrade manually with an "update now" type button.

3.) The updates come from software602, and do not require another license and what-not.

4.) Scanning takes up less time and less cpu cycles.

What I think is cool about it is you can use both avg and the bitdefender antivirus to scan for viruses on the server for that extra level of protection.
  Posted by Peter Murphy  on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 11:14:16 AM (EST)
Correction to #1: AVG works with LS 2003 after you register. I misunderstood what James said :)
  Posted by Patrick Mclaughlinjr.  on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 7:20:04 PM (EST)
I had bitdender befor it was bitdender it seemed to work OK but these guys are like extrosonist, they want extra and higher fees every year. I think 602 should have worked something out with the folks over at AVG

As far as LS2003 seems to be working OK at least for the last 30 minuets it's been on, looks like I've got some more reading to do on the Firewall, haven't tried the fax service yet. I had it off it sucked so bad on the 2002 verison
  Posted by Marshall Lai  on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 9:02:04 PM (EST)
Are you sure that the AVG does not check virus on mail arrival? Seems strange because since I have upgraded to LS2003, I have received at least 2 emails with viruses and I received messages from my LS2003 indicating as such...... and I am just using the LS2003 standard version.

Maybe my LS2003 is not installed correctly?
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Friday, June 13, 2003 at 12:11:43 AM (EST)
300USD unlimited user anti-virus server update for a year is actually pretty good price.

Symantec is selling their annual subcription for 50 user for 1,800USD (1 Year Gold Maintenance License- Symantec AntiVirus)

LAN SUITE Anti-virus Edition was actually the cheapest "server antivirus" solution for "unlimited users" I found online. It's this, or FREE scanner on each workstation, problems with updates..etc. It is just bad idea not to have it on the server for this price.

And I like BitDefender better then AVG. It is definitelly faster.

Peter
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.