Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Cant receive emails using dynamic DNS
  Posted by  George Kapelios  on Thursday, June 05, 2003 at 7:52:08 AM (EST)
I 'm running LS SMTP server behind a NAT router over ADSL, using dynamic DNS. The dynamic DNS provider is responsible for the MX records of my domain. I don't not relay emails to my ISP's SMTP server. Ports 25 and 110 are mapped to LS SMTP server.

I am able to send email to any public user (user@yahoo.com), but I cannot receive any email sent by yahoo or any other public smtp server. However, the emails are not returned back to the senders.

Is anybody aware about a similar situation ? What do I have to check in LS ?
  Posted by Peter Murphy  on Thursday, June 05, 2003 at 9:51:47 AM (EST)
What do the bounced messages say? That can tell you a lot.

It might be that your ISP is blocking your port 25, a lot of ISPs do that because of spammers and open relays.
  Posted by George Kapelios  on Thursday, June 05, 2003 at 10:00:11 AM (EST)
Peter,
the message is not bouncing. It never comes back.

It has been sent almost 20 hours ago (more than one email), without receive any response and without been delivered to my LS SNMP server.

I suppose that if my ISP has blocked port 25 the message should have been sent back.
  Posted by John Rickey  on Thursday, June 05, 2003 at 11:54:26 AM (EST)
You may need to give us more details. When sending a message out what is it that you are expecting to come back?

Are you indicating that the message you sent out _neither_ gets delivered nor is returned to you as undeliverable? Have you been able to send messages out and have them delivered?

I have had problems with my Yahoo! mail account in the past. Email from my dad sometimes would not be delivered. For a couple of days he would get messages from his Earthlink account indicating the mail had not yet been delivered but that Earthlink was still trying to deliver it. Eventually, the mail was returned to him. With a mailing list I was on, I would never get the day's message on my Yahoo! account, but I could receive it reliably on my Geocities account (which is the same account since Yahoo! bought Geocities). This finally cleared up when the mailing list server changed to another ISP.

I finally deduced that Yahoo! must be denying messages from certain ISPs. If your ISP has a history of hosting spammers, it would not surprise me that this is the cause of your problem. If it is, there may be nothing that you can do about it, other than convincing your ISP to clean up its act and get off the blacklists.

Posted by George Kapelios  on Thursday, June 05, 2003 at 1:30:03 PM (EST)
John,
The mail sent from Yahoo to my LS SNMP server running under mydomain.com and never received by my server.

The other way around, everything is fine. I can send email from my server to yahoo or any other accounts.
  Posted by John Rickey  on Thursday, June 05, 2003 at 3:27:20 PM (EST)
George,

Check the following:
1. You are not running anti-spam software (LS or separately).
2. Your ISP is not running anti-spam software.
3. You are setup with your ISP for them to transmit to you via SMTP.

We collect mail by POP3 and my understanding of SMTP is limited. Since you have a dynamic address I expect the MX record points to your ISP who collects and may spool the messages until they are sent to you. You might check with your ISP about how they spool and route the mail.

Aside from these suggestions, someone else may have to help you.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.