Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
eDock Server 2.1 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
eDock Client via internet
  Posted by  Kim Nielsen  on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 6:30:22 AM (EST)
I can't connect eDock Client to my edock server from a remote location via the internet. I have ports 5000, 5001 and 5002 opened in my firewall.

On the inside network 192.168.x.x evething works fine.

From the outside i can't connect.

How do i configure the url for the server in the client ??

Best Regards

Kim Nielsen
  Posted by Peter Murphy  on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 10:20:54 AM (EST)
My guess is you've installed the software with internal network addresses and not public ones. The only way I know how to fix this would be to reinstall edock and input the correct IP addresses.
  Posted by Kim Nielsen  on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 10:35:08 AM (EST)
Okay i got that. But i want to access eDock Server from both inside and outside my firewall, with the same portable computer.

For that reason i have a local dns server inside the company firewall that maps our url's to our internal ip's.

So i need a way to tell the client what url to access.

Regards

Kim Nielsen
  Posted by Peter Murphy  on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 10:44:51 AM (EST)
Ok, the only way you MIGHT be able to do this would be to dump the DNS information into a hosts file, but I doubt that will work.

Only other solution would be a VPN or have the users RAS in or something to that effect. This is because of your particular setup and not anything to do with edock. You need to have edock on a publically accessable IP address, not an internal IP.
  Posted by Kim Nielsen  on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 12:25:19 PM (EST)
Maybe i could use the hosts file, that's what was suggested by online support. But then i would have to change my hosts file every time i went outside the company, and then change it back again when back behind the firewall again.

That's why I'd need the client to be able to accept a domainname like server.mycompany.com

Inside the firewall our company dns server would supply the ip address. Outside the company our public dns server would provide the correct ip address.

Actually a lot of our applications work that way today - which is very nice and simple.

Regards,

Kim Nielsen

Posted by Peter Murphy  on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 2:01:52 PM (EST)
Yes, but the problem is that you are using internal ip addresses that are being resolved by an internal DNS.

If you are using an internal IP (10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x), a hosts file will not work. Period. This is because none of these IP address ranges are routable over the Internet. The only hope you would have is to use a packet forwarding router and forward those packets to your private server.

If you do this, you will not have to change out your hosts file because it will simply go out to the router and come back in and get forwarded to the correct machine. No big deal.

I think you're looking for more of a VPN solution though.
  Posted by Peter Cassidy  on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 at 8:01:57 PM (EST)
How is your network connected to the internet?

If it's via a router why not try redirecting the public ip/port through to the private ip/port.
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.