Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Network Setups
  Posted by  Brian Hostetter  on Monday, May 05, 2003 at 4:23:24 PM (EST)
I was wondering how some users of LS2002 have it setup. I was wondering if anybody has a Firewall and LS2002 running in the same box? And What Firewall they are using, any problems incountered?

Thank you
Bry
  Posted by David Hart  on Monday, May 05, 2003 at 5:16:28 PM (EST)
I personally detest software firewalls and prefer a solid NAT router with a configurable filter set.

I find things like Zone Alarm to be a royal pain - far too paranoid and intrusive.

I wouldn't run a web server without a DMZ.
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 12:22:50 AM (EST)
I asked the same question and got answer from Software602, that 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 (next version) will include build-in firewall and should be available before summer. So unless you have a hardware solution what I would recommend, then I would probably wait for new version to save me hassle with third party software intergation.
Definitely stay away from any personall firewall software.

Peter
  Posted by David Hart  on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:41:48 AM (EST)
Even if LS included a firewall, I would STILL opt for the $75 investment in a router. I have an old (alas, discontinued) NetGear RT314. There are LinkSys routers that offer a DMZ.

Keep in mind that the hardware prevents the packets from ever reaching any computer on the network which is a real plus in security and performance.

There are some people who SWEAR by OpenBSD and using a BSD machine as a firewall. You can use any old POS. It will run on a 386 with 16mb of memory.
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 at 10:51:39 AM (EST)
100% agree with any static connection. But if you are on dial-up or on ADSL with dynamic IP then software firewall will do just fine.
It is really amazing that pretty any $100 router includes a basic firewall today.

Peter
  Posted by David Hart  on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 4:34:18 PM (EST)
Well PPPoE works better through a router than software. Furthermore, most routers can hook into DynDNS servers.

I'll take any opportunity to reduce cycles.
  Posted by Brian Hostetter  on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 at 10:57:33 PM (EST)
Ok thank you all for the replys.
Here is one reson I asked. I was using one of the LinkSys Cable/DSL Routers. After some testing I found that it was slowing my network connections way down that some programs (mainly the kids games) will drop the conncetion. From what I can tell the Router couldn't keep up. So after testing. I installed two 10/100 Switches and got 3 IP's from my broadband provider. All is running faster then ever. I just want to make sure that I don't get hacked. LoL

Thanks for all the info.
  Posted by Sam Streger  on Monday, May 12, 2003 at 6:57:44 PM (EST)
Use a commercial firewall. Linksys and the like are designed for the consumer and work, but have major issues when pressed to a real task. Have been using SonicWall -- www.sonicwall.com for all my commercial clients with great results.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.