Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Client logon failure
  Posted by  Jamie Morrison  on Monday, April 21, 2003 at 8:32:41 PM (EST)
I've been running 602Pro LAN Suite 2002 on my network here at home (2 PCs running Win98, one with Win2K Pro, one with XP Home and a "server" for backup and email distribution running Win98) for about a month without problem. Then, after a regular weekly reboot of the server, all of the email clients (Outlook 98, 2000 and 2002) began failing to pick up the mail from the server with the error message: "Unable to logon to the incoming mail server (POP3)". The mail server seems to be picking up the mail from the POP3 server as it is supposed to -- the log shows a clean connect/grab/disconnect and everyone can access their mail via the webserver. The problem seems to be that the 602Pro server is not recognizing the client's (Outlook's) authority to collect the email from the mailbox. User names, passwords and the IP address of the server box (192.168.0.10) all seem to be correct. Anyone got any other ideas.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 10:24:19 AM (EST)
Are you running anything that may interefere with Outlook's ability to connect to the server? Stuff like firewalls, Norton Antivirus, etc.
  Posted by Jamie Morrison  on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 11:00:07 AM (EST)
Nothing that hadn't already been running. There were no changes to the system immediately prior to the failure.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 4:01:38 PM (EST)
I've seen this behaviour when using a SMTP proxy (like in Norton Antivirus)..

That's why i ask..
  Posted by Jamie Morrison  on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 4:57:27 PM (EST)
Do you think that this is an issue with Norton AV running on the server machine? I have Norton on the server and two of the clients, but ALL of the email clients are failing to log into their mailboxes. If this is the case, do you think it would be necessary to remove Norton AV, or would simply disabling the email protection correct the problem?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, April 22, 2003 at 5:06:07 PM (EST)
It might be. Basically, what you have is the inability to communicate on port 25, so you should investigate anything that could be doing this. I know Norton Antivirus can cause problems at least on the client side, but you may also want to check and see if you have the "SMTP Service" installed or anything else that may conflict with a program tryin to communicate on port 25.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.