Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Shut down Lansuite for AVG Update
  Posted by  Ken List  on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 9:29:50 AM (EST)
I am running AVG virus s/w free edition. Before it can load new virus definitions, it asks me to close lansuite.exe. I have LS running as a service, and cannot stop it using the task manager or services control panel. Is there a way to bypass stopping lansuite, or is there a way to stop lansuite so my virus def. updates can install?
  Posted by David Hart  on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 11:28:09 AM (EST)
Create a shortcut on the desktop:

%windir%\system32\net.exe stop "602Pro LAN SUITE"

and another;

%windir%\system32\net.exe start "602Pro LAN SUITE"

The first will stop the service and the second will re-start the service. Did that answer your question?
  Posted by Ken List  on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 12:07:24 PM (EST)
Thanks, but it didn't work. While the Services Control Panel indicates that lansuits.exe is stopped after running the shortcut, it still shows up in Task Manager. When I try to end process there I'm told "Unable to Terminate Process.The operations could not be completed. Access is denied". AVG also still thinks lansuits.exe is running (so does taskmgr, for that matter). A side note is that AVG is listed as a dependency for LS in the system control panel. Is this creating a problem? Thanks.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 12:13:18 PM (EST)
From what I understand, LS uses AVG's engine and virus db to check for viruses. It kind of makes sense that it can't update the db while a program using that database is running.

Someone more familiar with scripting than I can probably figure something out for you, but for the time being, I just close LS down when I do updates manually.
  Posted by David Hart  on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 12:19:08 PM (EST)
Oops. Forgot to tell you. You need to change the service to manual. Then copy the start shartcut into your startup group so that the sevice start every time you start your computer.

Now you should be able to turn it on and off from your desktop. If not, let me know.
  Posted by David Hart  on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 12:23:14 PM (EST)
>>Oops. Forgot to tell you. You need to change the service to manual. Then copy the start shartcut into your startup group so that the sevice start every time you start your computer.

Now you should be able to turn it on and off from your desktop. If not, let me know.<<

Honestly, English is my first language.

Anyway, Change the service to manual and Apply the change. Copy the shortcut for starting the service into the startup group of your program menu.

BTW, you do not have to run the AVG service if you check for updates manually which generally a better idea anyway. Disable it and save some resources.
  Posted by Ken List  on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 1:33:41 PM (EST)
Thanks for the tips. I've got LS starting from the Startup group. I've disabled the auto update service for AVG. Now, if I can just remember to check for virus updates regularly....
  Posted by Adam Skórzewski  on Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 8:05:00 AM (EST)
IMHO create 3 shortcuts would be a good idea:
1. to stop LAN SUITE
2. to start AVG update
3. to start LAN SUITE
But I don't know how to do this 2.
  Posted by Carl Pullen  on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 at 4:29:46 PM (EST)
Had the same trouble using AVG anti virus. Now use Norton which scanns all e-mails coing through port 25 and 110. Without any update problems using lansuite.
  Posted by Peter Scott  on Monday, March 31, 2003 at 7:47:17 AM (EST)
Hi,

If you are interested and Software602 Inc M'ment give me their blessing (permission) I will have a go at writing some code to:
Automate the server shutdown Antivirus update
Restart the server

No promises, but it may be possible?
  Posted by Ken List  on Monday, March 31, 2003 at 10:37:09 AM (EST)
I think that's a great idea. Please keep me posted.
  Posted by Brian Noftsier  on Thursday, May 15, 2003 at 11:18:02 AM (EST)
I use a cron even from task scheduler:

startit.bat : net start lansuits
stopit.bat : net stop lansuits

I have teh AVG update for 2:00 AM and stopit running at 1:59, and startit running at 2:01 AM

Works GREAT on Win2K Pro (task scheduler is great)
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.