Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
email crashing the system
  Posted by  Victor Lavigne  on Sunday, January 26, 2003 at 9:18:32 PM (EST)
I have LanSuite installed on a central server, running WinXP Pro. Me and my wife both have separate computers, all running WinXP Pro. A couple times over the last week, an email that my wife was trying to retrieve would suddenly crash the server. It would repeatedly crash the server every time she tried to access it until I uninstalled her account and then recreated it (losing all her email in the process). This has happened twice so far, and only with her account. She gets a lot of spam, and I was wondering if maybe some of this type of email might trigger it. Are there any known problems with any type of email that would cause this problem?
  Posted by Gregoryb Little  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 10:23:37 AM (EST)
Victor, for clarity, is the server crashing were (1) it needs a reboot or (2) just LanSuite needs to be restarted? The reason for the question is that I have discovered that the security settings in Outlook, especially after some of the Windows updates, will cause individual computers to freezed up when retrieveing email. Since you don't have the promblem you might want to check the settings on your computer and compare with her computer. It could also be the settings on the antivirus program on her computer. Just a thought!
  Posted by John Rickey  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 11:13:34 AM (EST)
I'll add one other note to Gregoryb's thoughts: I had similar problems here at work with regards to reading email. One person's computer froze (needing reboot). I finally discovered a virus payload had been delivered. If I remember correctly, anytime she tried to access the internet the payload would try to run, the real-time anti-virus detected it but could not recover.

I suggest you get a current update to your anti-virus program and then run a complete check of your system.
  Posted by Victor Lavigne  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 11:28:40 AM (EST)
Victor, for clarity, is the server crashing were (1) it needs a reboot or (2) just LanSuite needs to be restarted?

It causes the server to momentarily blue screen and then automatically reboot. If it happens again, I will configure the System Failure to NOT automatically reboot so I will have time to see what is on the blue screen.

As for AV programs, I have AVG Antivirus on the server, and Norton Security on both of our personal computers. Her computer is using Incredimail, while mine is using Outlook.
  Posted by David Hart  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 11:55:42 AM (EST)
Incredimail can cause a number of problems because it is highly intrusive. It collects data and phones home. This is true with both paid and unpaid versions.

As a first step I would get rid of it.
  Posted by Victor Lavigne  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 12:24:33 PM (EST)
Well, the problem has been fairly specific. It has only happened twice so far. It has only happened between 12 midnight and about 2 am, when about the only email that was being retrieved was SPAM. If it was the Incredimail program itself, I think this would have happened a lot more often. How can the Incredimail program retrieving mail across a LAN cause the server to blue screen and reboot?
  Posted by David Hart  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 2:02:54 PM (EST)
There is a known compat problem with Incredimail 1.2 and XP. As you may also be aware, Incredimail changes your VM settings.

BTW, have you checked your event logs to see if they can pin down the problem?
  Posted by Victor Lavigne  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 2:43:04 PM (EST)
If there is a known incompatibility between Incredimail and XP, I have not seen it. My wife has used it since we upgraded her computer to WinXP, and there have been no problems.

And I have been doing a search through these forums, apparently other people have had problems with retrieval of email crashing the server. No mention of Incredimail in those older posts.
  Posted by John Rickey  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 2:45:07 PM (EST)
Victor,

Except for occuring between midnight and 2 a.m. your description matches the virus problem I mentioned earlier.

Have you performed a complete virus scan with a current definition file for AVG?

John
  Posted by Victor Lavigne  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 3:04:50 PM (EST)
Yes, all 3 computers are up-to-date with virus definitions. They all have antivirus programs running. And I have rescanned them today. I don't believe that is the problem.

A search of this forum has shown that about 10 users have had identical problems to me. There has been no clear answers as to the cause. I give up on this one.
  Posted by Nota. Geek  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 3:09:46 PM (EST)
1. Checking the MS knowledge base there IS one compatability issue with Incredimail and XP. However, I doubt that it would blue-screen.

2. Someone suggested that you check your event logs (from Administrative Tools in XP). That is a VERY good idea. Usually there is some indication of what caused the crash.

3. You should run a complete virus scan (with current definitions). AVG is free or NAV if you have it. Your problem could definitely be attibutable to a virus.

4. If that doesn't work, then uninstall Incredimail. It's far from the ideal network client. You are running an email client that is known to be spyware AND renders external graphic files which are usually web beacons (e-mail cookies) from doubleclick et al. Personally, I would never use anything but Eudora for business email. If I want something pretty, I'll compile a PDF file with Adobe and attach it - but I digress.

5. Do you have a firewall that prevents someone from hitting your system for a relay? Do you have a router? If so, which one?
  Posted by Victor Lavigne  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 3:42:45 PM (EST)
>1. Checking the MS knowledge base there IS one compatability issue with Incredimail and XP. However, I doubt that it would blue-screen.

If it were going to affect any computer adversely, I would think it would affect the computer it is installed on, not the server.

>2. Someone suggested that you check your event logs (from Administrative Tools in XP). That is a VERY good idea. Usually there is some indication of what caused the crash.

The event log showed a reboot from a "bugcheck." The computer codes did not check out against anything useful in the microsoft knowledge base.

>3. You should run a complete virus scan (with current definitions).

Done -- and negative.

>4. If that doesn't work, then uninstall Incredimail.

It's my wife's program, and she wont' let me uninstall it. This is a home lan, I am testing it for possible installation on a bigger office lan.

>5. Do you have a firewall that prevents someone from hitting your system for a relay? Do you have a router? If so, which one?

I'm using the WinXP firewall. No router, I share internet with WinXP ICS.

Just to be perfectly clear, I suspect that it is certain types of email doing this. When I deleted all her email, the problem resolved. This matches the problems that others in this forum have reported.
  Posted by David Hart  on Monday, January 27, 2003 at 4:22:55 PM (EST)
BUGCHECK is normally the result of a hardware error - normally a problem with a third party driver.

Most often this is associated with the display card.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.