Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro PC SUITE 2001 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
PC Suite and Windows 2000 on a NT domain
  Posted by  Marjorie Tell  on Thursday, November 21, 2002 at 11:09:12 AM (EST)
We are having problems with the "live update" feature of 602 PC Suite. Since the new release came out, we have installed it on our application server. If you are an administrator you can let it update with no problems. Any average user can not update the program on a Windows 2000 PC. It will start and run, but then when they try to go back into the program, even after rebooting it starts the installshield process all over.
  Posted by John Mcneilly  on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 12:54:12 PM (EST)
It's not just users with the issue. As an admin, I was able to install to the server with no issues. I then ran the download on two laptops as admin, both satisfactory. Today I am on an exact build laptop as yesterday, logged on as admin, and I am getting the same issue. The new version number is reflected in the Add/Remove Programs, as in the registry, but no Programs icons have updated. The install process completes and exits properly; however, each and every attempt to open, say, 602Text, results in a brand new installation process. It essentially does nothing but loop, because if you click No to update, any documents from the previous version cannot be opened. I have cleaned the registy and uninstalled and rebooted several times, but all to no avail. Again, this is all under admin permissions, which have been verified. I have no idea why the first two installations 'took' and this one on an exact machine with exact software and setting build loops. My next move is to remove the newest version and reload the old, so at least documents are readable.
  Posted by Marjorie Tell  on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 10:15:59 AM (EST)
This is the reply from 602 tech support:

If the software was installed as an Administrator, it requires an
administrator level user to install the update. This is actually an issue
with Windows permissions, not with our software.

The solution would be to uninstall the software on the client machines and
reinstall it as a normal user.
  Posted by John Baker  on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 8:14:54 AM (EST)
Think again...

I reinstalled as a regular user and it still loops for me. It took on the first 2000 machine I installed it on and none since.

Laying the blame on permissions is the oldest programmer's side step in the business! If that's what you are going to start doing, then Office XP here we come. And if we can't afford that maybe OpenOffice.
  Posted by Marjorie Tell  on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 5:10:28 PM (EST)
The tech support is disappointing:

As I said before, this is obviously a permissions or a policy issue. You may
want to review your policies and see what is in place that may prevent the
installer from installing the software. We need to be able to write to the
user's temp directory, the registry, the program files/PC Suite directory,
the common files directory, etc. An Administrator can do this because he/she
obviously has full control over the computer and strict policies are not in
place to prevent the admin from doing things that may or may not harm the
computer.

I have tried it as a regular user, an admin, a regular user with local admin rights and we get the same loop of wanting to install. Not a very good situation and the lack of wanting to find the true problem is disappointing. Easy to blame it on everything else.
  Posted by John Mcneilly  on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 at 11:03:45 PM (EST)
Now it's starting to get really frustrating, after three hours of various installs, uninstalls, RegCleans, RegEdit searches for salient *602* entries... all to no avail. The temp directory is correct and so is the path. Everytime I remove EVERY single trace of the 2001 version, reboot, and reinstall according to the Adobe installation guidelines, it is treated as a new install (as well it should be), but upon first time use following a reboot, 602 tells me that there is an upgrade available. If I take the upgrade I can execute it ten times and it never upgrades and sticks. If I choose not to upgrade, there is no ability to use 602 as it is immediately closed up. What is it going to take to make an installation stick? This only seems to be an issue on W2K SP3 machines, but I am very convinced it is a 602 issue that needs to be addressed, and not something I am doing or not doing. The ONE machine the upgrade had success is working fine; the additional functionality is way cool. But none of my users can find out for themselves, and I am taking the heat for having announced an available upgrade that I said I needed to perform, and everyone is wondering where it is. I am losing credibility with my users because I can neither correct the situation or explain why the installs fail, and I am not a happy camper. And I was the one to migrate us away from expensive Office and drum up support for its replacement, too.
  Posted by John Mcneilly  on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 at 2:07:34 AM (EST)
For a possible fix, see my posting of 12/4/2002. Now I'm going to go home. 16.5 hours today!!!
BackBack to 602Pro PC SUITE 2001 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.