Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
AVG
  Posted by  Simon Mackin  on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 at 5:09:14 AM (EST)
Found that AVG and Lansuites has worked perfectly until I ran the latest build of AVG at the weekend.
Now the virus appear to be getting picked up by resident shield instead of LANSuites. (I'm presuming the IS038.tmp files are emails that lansuites is dealing with)

No response from AVG for help so far.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
  Posted by Murray Wennerlund  on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 at 9:55:12 AM (EST)
Simon, we found a similar problem.
After running the auto update on 10/11/2002 the AVG Anti Virus is not picking up virus attachments on the incoming mail from Lan Suite 2002 as it did in the past.

Before the update AVG would find and delete the email, which was infected. Then the system would email our admin account notifying our admin that a virus was found and report the email address of the sender. This no longer is the case.

Now AVG is finding the Klez.H virus in the system temp folder of our server. This concerns us regarding both incoming and outgoing virus scans at the LAN Suites level. I don't believe it's a Lan Suite problem but more of a redesign of AVG that Lan Suite is not working with.

I've read other Anti Virus programs becoming corrupted (e.i: Norton Corporate Version) The users have to remove and reinstall the software to correct the problem after the Klez.H virus has entered the system. But in our case the virus is not active on the system it's just not being stopped in the entry point, which is the email server.

This all started after the 10/11/2002 update. AVG has a new update 10/15/2002, that we have installed to see if it will correct the problem.
Our internal systems have not received any viruses like the Klez.H virus so everything might still be working it's just not reporting the virus as it once did before 10/12/2002.

We'll post any information we find. I hope the new update corrects the reporting issue within Lan Suites. It will only take a day or two before the Klez.H hits our server again. If Lan Suites still does not find the virus we will remove AVG and reinstall it.
If you find anything drop us a line. It's very important to protect the internal workstations from viruses that pass the email server. Some users still don't understand that .exe attachments aren't friendly emails.
  Posted by Murray Wennerlund  on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 at 10:21:40 AM (EST)
I forgot to post this link.
If you feel your Anti Virus didn't stop the Klez.H virus you can check for the Klez.H with this little virus scaner that runs free standing (not installed as a program)

http://www.bitdefender.com/download/download.php?file=AntiKlez.exe

Posted by Simon Mackin  on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 9:41:40 AM (EST)
Thanks for the info.

I've gopt the latest build and it's made no difference.

The worrying thing is that the e-mails are getting through to the client. Luckily AVG is doubled up on the PC's also but I can't rely on the users being up to date.

I've been getting 20 to 30 bugbear/klez virus alerts through lansuites each day up until this problem. I now get none! hence I'm concerned as to what is coming through.

I'm very keen to see a fix from this but I've not had any rep-ly from SOftware602 or AVG.
  Posted by Murray Wennerlund  on Friday, October 18, 2002 at 8:24:53 AM (EST)
Simon,
CC: Software602 Technical Support, Grisoft Technical Support

We tested the different versions of AVG with LAN SUITE 2002.
Looks like after the 394 update from AVG they changed something in the core virus handling resident shield that LAN Suite 2002 is not working with.

With AVG 400/404 the virus scans of email within Lan Suite does take place but deleting the infected email has changed. It is no longer controlled by LAN Suite but handled by AVG in a not so safe method.

LAN Suites interface would use the AVG active shield to delete viruses like Klez.H before delivery. We had the system set to notify a virus was sent and from what email address.
Iíve monitored the active connections with LAN Suite and did see the AVG software scan all email but when a virus was attached with the email the attachment was passed as a temp file to the temp folder. The file was renamed as AVG would do but instead of placing it in the Vault it placed the virus infected email attachment file in the system temp folder.

This is not good, seems possible for a virus to pass if the AVG shield is disabled. And we all know that Klez.x works to disable anti virus programs, so itís just a matter of time.

We have rolled back the AVG version to 394 which came out Oct 3, 2002. This version works like it should with LAN Suite. The current download at Grisoft.com is this version so if you haven't done so download it and save the file.

We are now thinking that Software602 Inc will have to take a close look at the AVG program and the changes Grisoft has made. I believe that the AVG changes are not what they intended. Grisoft might still be having problems with the AVG program in higher end systems and with the Resident Shield function.

I have read about some of the problems with the 399 update from AVG and how it effected the Resident Shield function. This is what LAN Suite 2002 uses to actively scan incoming viruses on your email server.
AVG Claims they fixed the problem but I think it's more of a work around and it's not completely tested on all system software.

To point a finger in my best guess of the day. AVG changed the characteristics of the Active Resident Shield and LAN Suite 2002 is not working with the new changes very well.

When you roll back your AVG disable the auto update. This will set your system back to when it was actually detecting, deleting and notifying you about infected emails.

This weekend when I have time I'll write to Software602 and Grisoft and try to get the programmers in gear to fix or patch this problem.

We will also test the Server version of AVG this weekend to see if it has the same problem.

Till then, Roll back to version 394 on your AVG program and hope that no one comes up with a New Virus in the next month, if thatís possible in todayís world.

Regards,

Posted by Luke Walling  on Thursday, October 31, 2002 at 12:00:49 AM (EST)
I also have noted this issue, disabling the resident shield on the machine running the Lansuite 2002 or rolling back the update will correct the issue as an interim solution.

I have a debug version of the core waiting to be installed, I just haven't gotten to it yet. I believe Grisoft is aware of the problem. I haven't had any issues with getting replies via email from them as others in the forum have - I've been reselling their product for some time now, and am quite pleased with it overall!

Posted by Albert Pizzarello  on Thursday, October 31, 2002 at 7:08:58 AM (EST)
I am also getting this problem,
I have downloaded the 394 version and followed the instructions, but AVG does not seem to run this update.
The instructions are a bit vague, should I reboot etc.
Also this file is identical to any other file ie all are 408 version.
Where can I get the 394 version of the file.

How come we have not received an email from 602software regarding this critical issue.

Albert Pizzarello
  Posted by Roger Weir  on Friday, November 01, 2002 at 10:18:12 AM (EST)
We are also gtting this behaviour i.e. virus detection in temp folder and email alert no longer happenning.

I just went to the grisoft site to rollback but the current version is 410 dated 1st Nov.

Does this indicate problem fixed ?? any ideas ?
  Posted by Jimi Gooding  on Friday, November 01, 2002 at 12:26:16 PM (EST)
Hello Everyone,

We have released a patch that fixes this issue. Please visit the Knowledge Base for information regarding this patch as well as a link to download it.

You can view the Knowledge Base article at:

http://support.software602.com/kb/view.asp?product=ls2&article=23

Jimi Gooding
Software602, Inc.
  Posted by Murray Wennerlund  on Monday, November 04, 2002 at 10:37:41 AM (EST)
Thanks Jimi Gooding with Software602, Inc.

Keep up the good work!

Regards
MnWorks.Net Solutions
XtremeComputer.Com
Technical Support
  Posted by Albert Pizzarello  on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 4:29:58 AM (EST)
I have applied the service pack but the viruses are still getting through, this morning I got the klez.

This is becoming a critical problem.

Please advise.

Do all the lansuite users who are relying on avg on the mail server as their only protection for virues know that the emails are coming through infected, although lansuite shows, message clean on the status window ?

Regards
Albert Pizzarello
  Posted by Zdravko Skupnjak  on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 5:53:57 AM (EST)
Tried today.

BugBear virus passed LS2002/AVG and ended in Outlook Express inbox.

Installed SP1 for LS and latest AVG update.
Log shows - messages is clean

This is now a MAJOR problem.
If local user don't have some kind of anti-virus protection it will end in their mailbox.
  Posted by Zdravko Skupnjak  on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 6:01:12 AM (EST)
To Software602 Technical,

have you considered adding command line for anti-virus software?
So we can use diferent anti-virus software and don't face this kind of a problem in future??
  Posted by Rob Poston  on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 at 10:33:59 PM (EST)
Does any have a link to the 394 version. Since my users all have protection on their computers I am not as worried, but it has been three weeks and no resolution. It is starting to worry me since other clients of mine (Exchange and Trend AV) are seeing an increase in email traffic for KLEZ... I didn't that would be possible.

Posted by Simon Mackin  on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 at 5:01:38 AM (EST)
Jimi,

Does the patch you mention directly fix the problem with LS and AVG (399+).

http://support.software602.com/kb/view.asp?product=ls2&article=23

I'm concerned over the comments of some virus getting through since the patch and don't want to apply this until I' confident it works.

Thanks.
  Posted by Luke Walling  on Saturday, November 09, 2002 at 12:10:26 AM (EST)
This issue is still present with 602's patch, and the latest AVG update 417.

I am still corresponding with AVG tech support, but the only way AVG and Lansuite and be used successfully at this point is to turn off AVG's resident shield. EITHER WAY Lansuite is reporting EMAILS THAT ARE INFECTED to be CLEAN in the log!
  Posted by Murray Wennerlund  on Sunday, November 10, 2002 at 2:29:47 PM (EST)
Just when we thought it was corrected. The viruses are still not being handled correctly.
I jumped the gun on my last post.

We are rolling back to version 394 from AVG and will disable the auto update.

To do this you must remove AVG and reboot before installing the older version.
We have a copy of the 394 version and will post it if AVG allows us to. I don't know if AVG or Software602 will allow it but it's the only fix that really works. For now we can email a link if anyone needs the 394 version. Send a email to service@mnworks.net and we will send you the link or attach the file if your email can take the 5.3MB size.

We are going to send an email to AVG and ask them to post the older version for everything that has to do the roll back.

We hope that someone corrects the problem soon.

Regards,
MnWorks.Net
XtremeComputer.Com
service@mnworks.net
  Posted by Albert Pizzarello  on Monday, November 11, 2002 at 10:50:41 AM (EST)
This problem that we are having with AVG.

Is it happening because its a free version, or will it happen the same on the server or pro version ?

If anyone knows if this problem does not exist on the server or pro version, please let me know, and also if to get the server or pro version, to protect lansuite emails only.

Posted by Kevin Hisel  on Monday, November 11, 2002 at 8:44:18 PM (EST)
I was having the "Message is clean" problem with viruses getting through and applied the patch. All is now well, LS is now flagging my virus messages (I sent a few myself to test it).

BTW, I'm using the free version of AVG and the free 5-user license of LS2002. Free is good.
  Posted by Roger Weir  on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 12:21:51 PM (EST)
I updated all to latest and received no virus notifications. I then rolled back AVG to 394 and am now again being notified of infected mail.

Can anyone definitely state whether the lastest AVG and service packed Lan Pro work as with AVG 394. My experience is that there is still a problem.
  Posted by Murray Wennerlund  on Thursday, November 14, 2002 at 2:17:18 PM (EST)

Bad News for Everyone.

First both Free and Pay versions of AVG are suffering the same problems. Just had talked with a tech that uses the 25 client licensed copy of AVG tell me they are experiencing the same problem. So it's not limited to the free version.

Now the problem is that version 394 was good up until today. If you canít update you canít protect your systems.

The I-Worm/Bridex passes version 394 without a problem. We received the virus as an attachment README.EXE. It was only stopped by the workstations running the newest version of AVG.

So Software602 your enter face with AVG for virus scanning is now officially useless with our network. In design the idea of promoting and reselling software that would detect viruses at the server entry point was great. We never worried much about users updating virus software. Now we are updating workstations more to protect against what AVG Version 394 can not. And that is doe to some change that Grisoft made in which maybe you are not aware of? (Please donít tell us itís the malformed header.)

Any chance Software602 Tech Support can give us an update to the progress regarding a fix to this problem?

I don't want to be the one looking for a completely new solution to email servers but... it's only a matter of time for the servers to be hit by a new or updated virus version.

Post your updates and if you need any help we would be more than happy test with you on live systems.

Regards,

Posted by Albert Pizzarello  on Friday, November 15, 2002 at 6:25:37 AM (EST)
I agree with Murray, This is becoming a very serious problem, I have recently purchased the server edition of AVG but unfortunatly my lansuite is running on win98 machine (silly of me).
I am willing to purchase the pro vsersion but only if I am sure that it will work, all indications point it will not.

I am also willing to test any patches.

I also advise Software602 to send out an email to all their registered users advising them that their Lansuite & AVG combination is not protecting them from viruses, not everyone reads the forums.

Posted by Simon Mackin  on Monday, November 18, 2002 at 3:32:22 AM (EST)
I agree. I don't want to but I'm forced to look at alternatives to lansuites/AVG.
Let's hope they have a fix this week.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.