Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
Groupware Server 6.0 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Faxing from Groupware Version 6
  Posted by  John Bailey  on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 6:35:26 AM (EST)
My faxing worked brilliantly under Version 5 but after being asked to upgrade to version 6 and dutifully doing so I find myself with no Faxing ability.

Could someone explain to me how I get this working again?
  Posted by John Bailey  on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 6:41:47 AM (EST)
I have also found this and feel that perhaps this 'minor' change might have been highlighted to users.

http://support.software602.com/kb/view.aspx?articleID=1080

KB1080: Sending faxes with 602LAN SUITE Groupware

NOTE: This feature has been removed from Groupware Server 6.0.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 11:11:19 AM (EST)
I don't know how they could do it any better.

1. When I received the upgrade e-mail, I was warned:

"!!!!!! WARNING: Groupware Server 6.0 has discontinued the following services: DHCP, DNS, CONTENT FILTER, FAX, FIREWALL, MAPPED LINKS, NAT, PROXY, and SOCKS. If you upgrade, you will lose access to these services and you will not be able to downgrade your installation to the previous version. !!!!!!"

2. When I went to actually install the upgrade, I was warned with a similar message to the above.

I don't know how much more clear they could have made it, and I completely understand why they remove the features.

All of these features are duplicated in the modern Windows releases from Microsoft or extremely cheap hardware (eg: router). I have not used the proxy since LAN SUITE 2002/2003, when I bought a Linksys router for $75 which handles everything except faxing. Faxing is done with WinFax PRO (I don't and have never used content filter, nor do I recommend or support filtering with my clients. Philosophical thing).
  Posted by Michel vanderHeijden  on Saturday, August 09, 2008 at 5:24:08 AM (EST)
GW6 finaly became a mailserver and all gadgets are removed.

We also used ls/gw-fax for many years but after the upgrade we replaced it with the Windows 2003 server faxoption. Setup is a bit harder than with LS/GW but it does it job the same.
  Posted by Michael Hanscom  on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 10:20:13 AM (EST)
To Robert Smith,

How many users share an Internet Connection through your Linksys Router?

I would like to upgrade to Groupware 6, but I need to choose a Router with Firewall for Internet Connection Sharing for about 50 users.
  Posted by Barry Kucher  on Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 2:06:59 AM (EST)
As far as the router of choice, we used to use a Nexland, but they were bought out by Symantec, and the price for a replacement quadrupled with no new features.

We replaced the Nexland with a NetGear FVS336G. The main feature of this unit is that it allows two (2) WAN connections and allows you to bind them together. We have a T1 and a cable connection. If one goes down, my users never notice because all traffic then goes to the live connection automatically.

It has many features such as Monitoring, Certificates, Radius Server Support, etc.

With a price of under $300, it has been very reliable and I highly recommend it.

One Note...We had to call tech support when we first installed it. It was a 5 minute phone call and we were up & running.

Posted by Barry Kucher  on Saturday, January 31, 2009 at 2:09:49 AM (EST)
One more thing...We also used the FAX Server, as well as the Mapped Links (Proxy Server). We will eventually find another proxy server, but for now we are still using LS2004. We just deleted the SMTP & POP3 settings.

Since the new server is using the same IP & Computer Name as the old server, no machine should find the server running LS2004 except for those that are using the Mapped Links.
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.