Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
Groupware Server 6.0 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Slow Processing of Junk Mail
  Posted by  Kevin Johnson  on Wednesday, January 02, 2008 at 2:58:43 AM (EST)
I have noticed that it takes a long time to process junk mail. I have watched processor utilization on the server when it is happening and it is not very high. However, I do notice that there is a lot of disk activity. Is there some way to tweak the Software 602 SQL server or a way to optimize the database so that it does not take so long? It also holds of up other processes from other users during the spam classification process, so it doesn't seem to be multi-threading very well. Is there a way to tweak how many threads it can handle? My server is a dual-core 3.0 GHz machine with 1GB of RAM running on Win XP Pro.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, January 04, 2008 at 6:01:48 PM (EST)
There's not a way to optimize the database, only to optimize how you're handling the junk mail. You can set the junk mail to require administrative approval before the bayesian database is trained, which will increase performance because all the users will be doing is forwarding the junk mail to you, rather than training the bayesian filter itself. It's probably not a great idea to have users train the database anyway because you run a greater risk of them accidentally marking good messages as spam.
  Posted by Doug Lynch  on Monday, January 14, 2008 at 12:39:02 PM (EST)
what good is a system for junk mail if users cant tell it what is junk mail? We've had our server running for weeks now and I mark junk mail daily and the web interface took 35 minutes to mark and move 25 small junk emails before it responded. This is on a 2GB dual opteron server. Thats ridiculous and halts productivity.
  Posted by Doug Lynch  on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 2:16:34 PM (EST)
My boss is not happy with the slow junk mail processing. If it cannot be offloaded to a background task so the web interface runs faster, we will have to look for other software.
  Posted by Kevin Johnson  on Monday, January 28, 2008 at 2:29:15 PM (EST)
The last update of Groupware didn't help the speed of processing the junk mail, but it at least made it so that it didn't lock up other users from doing anything while someone else's junk mail was being processed. Oh well, I guess baby steps, huh? I really think that the main reason it is so slow is because when you mark messages and hit the junk mail button, it actually has to create a new message and "send" it to spam@spam.spam (check your Sent folder, and you'll see what I mean). I would think that this could be done all behind the scenes within the SQL database in a MUCH more efficient manner! Plus, that really clogs up the Sent folder with all of those messages too.
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.