Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
Groupware Server 6.0 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Conversion from LS2004
  Posted by  Barry Kucher  on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 12:27:32 PM (EST)
We purchased a new Dell Dual XEON Quad Core server with 2 gigs, just for our email server.

During testing I did not really pay attention to the conversion process as far as how long it would take to convert from the old version.

After doing some cleanup, I started the conversion process at 1:30am Saturday morning.It is now 12:30pm on Sunday, some 35 hours later and the system has converted about 70,000 emails. That relates to about 2000 emails per hour.

Fortunately, I think we should have about 80,000 emails total (about 10 Gigs) to be transferred so we will be ready for Monday morning (Hopefully).

Is this about average for conversion rates? During the test phase, my users LOVED the new interface and added features such as calendar sharing & Document sharing.

We have already identified numerous areas where LS2005 is going to be a real productivity enhancer for us.

Thank you to the entire LS team. Just get to work on Active Reports and I'll be happy.

Also, since you are using your own SQL server engine, do you have a utility for querying the database?

Barry Kucher
http://www.411tech.org
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 4:59:19 PM (EST)
It can take a while... I got my users to clean up their mailboxes before we converted. Saved us from having to convert about half our messages.
  Posted by Barry Kucher  on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 5:58:39 PM (EST)
I also relayed to my users to clean out there boxes. I had some users with over 4000 emails. One mistake on my part was I had many users who use outlook or incredimail set up to leave a copy of the message on the server. I originally set them up to leave 8 days of emails, this way they always had a weeks worth of emails in case they used the web interface remotely.

What I did not know, was my assistant did not limit the days on the server. any user he set up with incredimail or outlook had ALL of their messages from when they switched, which could have been 3 years ago.

He of course is longer my assistant (For other reasons, he was let go a year ago, but the damage was done.)
  Posted by M Blande  on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 10:57:12 AM (EST)
One thing I found (and liked) with LS2004 is its self healing ability. I run a dos command on my server monthly that takes all .dat and .zas files 1 year or older and moves them off to an archive area. LS doesn't seem to care that when a user comes back some older stuff is gone. Perhaps you could do the same and remove any older than 1 year to a separate area (perhaps the Vice pres would be the exception) and do not convert them unless a user specifically makes the request for something older. You can use a text search on the .dat and .zas files when they want something really old.
Works for me!

Mike
  Posted by Barry Kucher  on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 2:52:36 PM (EST)
I use a program called Fileboss. It is a great file and folder utility. I picked it up specifically for cleaning out Lansuite folders.

I once did what you suggested and I recieved 10's of calls 'Where is my EMAIL?'

It is amazing to me what people will keep. I use Fileboss to clean out the Trashin & Trashout folders weekly. Thousands of emails are deleted this way in seconds.
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.