Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
Groupware Server 6.0 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Goodbey
  Posted by  Rik Vanderschalie  on Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 5:33:50 AM (EST)
Thanks to your pricing strategy you've lost me as a customer. For corporate client an entry price of $499.95 may be acceptable, for me, as a home user, it isn't. I'd be willing to pay say $150 for a 5-user version. A 10-user version is of no use to me.
It's a decision I made with regret, as I've always liked your product, but this is just over the top for me.

Goodbye.
  Posted by M Blande  on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 5:12:11 PM (EST)
Can not disagree with Rik.
Since the first version pricing has been going up and up.
With 2004 having the base product and add ons was a great idea and probably kept the small to mid size customers.
I can see that this new version although it may have bigger features, it will loose them some smaller customers and stop them from getting others.
I will likely buy this new version but I really think that if I just started looking now for a product of this nature I would pass on this one. If im spending this many dollars I may as well get a "national advertised" product instead of an unknown from "602 who"?. I say likely because at this price point I will be evaluating all the competing products again (did that 5 yr ago) and might just end up with some other product.
Would be interesting to hear what others think.
  Posted by Philip Lynch  on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 4:43:35 AM (EST)
I agree itís expensive and we use this for our small office environment (up to 25 users), the cost increase will in the future make me seriously look at other software offerings. Whilst I concur that a significant amount of work appears to have been put into 5.0 with itís improved user features, itís just to much of a price hike, whereís the concession for existing customers on an upgrade? Sorry guys Iím not so convinced on your pricing strategy especially for new customers !
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Thursday, November 01, 2007 at 2:02:37 PM (EST)
I just wanted to add to this topic. I do not believe that 602LAN SUITE Groupware is a product for home use. You are basically purchasing Ferrari for your wife who drives kids to the school and complaining, that it is too expensive. I am not saying that Software602 did not increase their price, they did. All what I am saying is that if you have company with 25+ users, then 602LAN SUITE 5 Groupware is still much more affordable then Microsoft Exchange or SBS or other collaboration servers with similar feature list.(e.g. 100 user Exchange cost more then $7,000, Groupware price is about $2,000. SBS for 25-user cost is $1,500 price for Groupware is $800.) I have no doubt, that this will be very successful product for new users because it still provide very good value for its cost. This is not just a mayor upgrade, it is also a completely redesigned product. Did you noticed, that it is SQL based and have Outlook, Thunderbird and groupware connectivity? It would be nice to see a product for home market from Software602, too.
  Posted by J.h. Roza  on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 9:42:17 AM (EST)
Same here, I'm afraid I too will leave Lansuite. Being a home user Lansuite Groupware is overkill for me as a home user. I also agree that this groupware is aimed at companies and not at the home market anymore but it would be nice if 602Software could use Lansuite2004 as a basis for a LanSuite Lite version that would be targeting the home user market. A five-user version for a reasonable price without all the groupware functionality would be ideal for home use. For me it means I'll go in search for another solution to turn my server into a web and mail server. Most probably I will have to learn the ins and outs of Apache and some cheap mailserver (if it exists).
A pity as for the last five years I was a very happy 602 customer and I could become one again if there would appear some Lite version but until then goodbye :-((

Jan Roza
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Friday, November 02, 2007 at 7:47:29 PM (EST)
I find the new product overkill for the home market, would like to see a product designed for it. The only possible replacement for the home market users that I can find is snugserver.
  Posted by J.h. Roza  on Saturday, November 03, 2007 at 1:25:53 PM (EST)
That's a great tip Russell.
Never heard of SnugServer but looking at their website this sure looks like the thing I'm looking for.
Reasonably priced with enough feature to satisfy most home users.
The only thing I don't see is a web mail feature, but maybe they get around that one at a later date.
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 9:21:05 PM (EST)
I am just curious. Why do not you continue using old 602LAN SUITE 2004? It seems to be better designed and has a web mail. SnugServer seems to be downgrade. Is it cost for a new installation? If that is the case then why not to use a free email account at Gmail or Yahoo.
  Posted by J.h. Roza  on Sunday, November 04, 2007 at 9:35:05 PM (EST)
I have to look for alternatives as my LanSuite license needs to be renewed in a year and by then I doubt that 602 Software will still be selling LanSuite 2004 licenses.
I don't want to be forced into a price class I can't afford so I have to consider alternatives at an early stage.
You're right SnugServer is a downgrade from LanSuite but that can't be helped. I can only hope that SnugServer will be further developed and will one day include web mail.
My first choice is still LanSuite but not at those corporate prices. Like I already said I hope 602 Software will publish a light version of LanSuite specially for home users for a affordable price. Then I'll be the first to return to LanSuite.
  Posted by Ian Barton  on Monday, November 05, 2007 at 4:39:13 AM (EST)
Not a home user, but I use it for a charity (church office). I'm nervous about sticking with LS2004 because of no on-going support.

The new version looks great, and we could use the groupware facilities - indeed I've been looking for something like this.

Unfortunately the pricing is too expensive - even the not-for-profit prices seem very high. The Outlook connector is outrageously expensive.

hMailServer is a nice free alternative mail server which I have used successfully on another installation, by the way. It has webmail support, but lacks groupware facilities.
  Posted by Barry Kucher  on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 12:23:47 AM (EST)
I have to add my 2 cents (maybe I'll get a discount) to this discussion. I first started using lansuite with thier 2003 version. At that time EMail was still an afterthought for our company. At that time only managers were given email and access to the internet (Remember those days?).

When Lansuite 2004 came out, I think it was a FREE upgrade and it added webmail. We currently have over 150 Users with over 500 aliases running on a $400 piece of software.

Yes, my upgrade price with outlook connectors will cost us about $2000 and will we upgrade. YES! With all of the new features incorporated in Groupware, we really have no choice.

I am a customer of Software602 and will remain one, if for no other reason than they originally supported AVG Anti-Virus (Not anymore, but thats another story).

I am responsible for over 200 Desktops & laptops and we have never had a virus outbreak. Yes, avg is not a software602 product, but we would have used Norton or McAfee like almost everyone else and we avoided all of the headaches that come with those products.

Now, we have tried to migrate to groupware and we encountered a couple of issues that they are working on, but when it's ready we will migrate.

Are they pricing themselves out of the market? Maybe for very small installations where old emails are not important. If we could find a migration tool that would take all of our existing emails (over 100,000), we might look at it. But I haven't found a product that will migrate the old emails, so I am just happy that they have come out with such a strong product.

Have we tried other products during our testing of groupware? Yes, Merak is an opensource product that looked real promising for about the same cost. They promise a migration tool that will migrate any other products emails, and it almost works. If your users place emails in subfolders you are OUT OF LUCK. Their migration basically sets up a proxy, but it only migrates emails in the root folder. When we contacted them for support, they told us to tell our users to move ALL of their emails to the root folder so they would migrate to the new system. Try telling users who are not computer savvy to move emails and you get a wierd look, believe me.

I did not fully comprehend the importance email now represents to our users. Yes we all use email and the internet now, but people have VERY STRONG opinions about their email clients. Our Vice President refuses to make the move to Groupware and we now have a solution where he and others who request it, can keep LS2004 for the web client. I can't understand that, given that Groupware's client is in my opinion, SO MUCH BETTER! But that's the problem we all face now.

Everyone has their opinion and favorites and I try to accomodate my users as best I can. I feel that I am doing that by staying with Software602 and offering my users both versions. One nice feature for Groupware would be to have an option so the interface can revert back to LS2004's for those users that like it better.

Wow, I think this reply is worth at least 2 cents!

Barry Kucher
http://www.411tech.org
  Posted by J.h. Roza  on Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 7:19:23 AM (EST)
In your case you're right to stick to Lansuite, but I still think that 602Software is really abandoning all home users as Lansuite is too expensive and overkill for them.

A pity ...... if only there would be a Lansuite Lite for home users.
  Posted by Michael J.H. Davies  on Sunday, November 18, 2007 at 11:41:55 AM (EST)
I too am a 602Lan Suite 2004 user (have been using LanSuite for a few years now - starting with the free 5-user version and currently using a paid 10-user version in my SOHO / 1-man office) who will NOT be making the change to 602Lan Suite 5 - not at the price demanded anyways. I have no need for groupware, only a reliable mail server (with built-in anti-spam and anti-virus), which is basically what I use Lan Suite for today. So I shall remain using Lan Suite 2004 for as long as it continues to work and then, most likely, look for a more competitive product for my needs. I'm not looking forward to leaving 602Software as a customer but i'm not prepared to pay the price currently demanded to remain one either. Perhaps 602Software might consider some kind of limited functionality version at a lower price for users with my kind of requirement.

/Mike
  Posted by Allan Marsh  on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 5:36:50 AM (EST)
I too have been using it in a home environment, with family both living at home and away at university. It has been an ideal product to use for email (although I have been hanging out for IMAP) AV scanning & Web Content filtering and monitoring. But on advertised prices, there is no way I can continue to use it. Existing customers have obviously not been considered as at all valuable.
  Posted by Allan Marsh  on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 5:37:17 AM (EST)
I too have been using it in a home environment, with family both living at home and away at university. It has been an ideal product to use for email (although I have been hanging out for IMAP) AV scanning & Web Content filtering and monitoring. But on advertised prices, there is no way I can continue to use it. Existing customers have obviously not been considered as at all valuable.
  Posted by Barry Kucher  on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 at 12:10:38 PM (EST)
I am starting to feel a bit foolish to have used this product in our environment. We currently have over 160 users with over 500 aliases. But we have had ZERO major issues in the 4 years of using it. Again, when my client first started with this thing called email, it was only an afterthought that has grown into the most used tool at the company.

In our case, cost (about $2000 for our configuration) is not that important. Smooth migration, new features (IMAP, calendar, document sharing) & a solid product is of vital concern.

Our original migration had issues, but they have been resolved. I am now dealing with users who are VERY comfortable in LS2004 and are reluctant to switch. Some are in high places and that is my roadblock now.

We use many of Software 602's products, Print2PDF Server and PCSuite. We are having a meeting very soon with management. I will let everyone know the outcome of that meeting later in the week.

Barry Kucher
http://www.411tech.org
  Posted by Steve Zerobnick  on Saturday, December 15, 2007 at 7:29:25 AM (EST)
Peter Crown Ė You made wrong calculation.

1) You said "SBS for 25-user cost is $1,500 price for Groupware is $800", please note:

a) Groupware for 25-user costs 850$
b) In order to compare between these two products, please add 25 users license for outlook connector (25*30= 750$), thatís total of 1600$

2) Now, for the same price you get a complete OS Server, with Groupware features (exchange)!!!

With this pricing, Lansuite Groupware is affordable for 100 users an up.
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Monday, December 17, 2007 at 5:17:17 PM (EST)
For Steve

You are right about one thing. If you are looking for a solution, which includes operating system then SBS is the way to go. It is really hard to compete with SBS offer if you are getting a free operating system some people actually may have to purchase. However, you do not have to purchase Outlook Connector if you use Outlook client. Simply set up your IMAP profile and you can access your email and still use a calendar and other items on your local desktop. I see Outlook connector as add-on for the users that looks for a true Exchange Alternative and wants to store their data on the server. In a small business I can live without it.
So 602LAN SUITE can provide affordable alternative to small organization as well as a choice for users who look for Exchange alternative with full Outlook comfort. And yes, these users will need to purchase also Outlook connector license for the cost you mentioned. It is actually nice, that I do not have to pay for connector if I do not need it, do not you think?

602LAN SUITE Groupware does not include operating system, but has other nice perks, like proxy server with content filter, antivirus with annual update and does not have 75 users limits like SBS. Once SBS reach this limit, you have to switch to the Exchange Server and pay..$$$.
  Posted by Steve Zerobnick  on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 3:49:05 AM (EST)
Peter
I was right about more then one thing.
a) If I was looking for a solution without the outlook connector, there are plenty of free mail servers (pop, smtp and imap), and plenty of great collaboration solution that includes all Lansuite features for half of the price (see for example: Desknow)
b) Next thing that I was right about, is that lansuite is affordable only for large business (100 users and up) and not for SMB.
c) I think that software602 should re-consider there price policy for SMB, and find a solution for a fair price (for example: create SBS version, that run only on workstation O.S [XP Pro, 2000 Pro, Vista])
d) And I must say, that software602 tech support is not that great.
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 5:48:36 PM (EST)
1. Without outlook connector does not mean without collaboration. I specifically like, that I can have a 25 user Groupware solution, but only 5 Outlook connectors, so I pay for the license only for the users who really need it and rest of the group can still access shared calendar on the web. If the cost is the problem then go with open source.
2. I do not agree with this statement at all. 602LAN SUITE 5.0 although costs more then 2004 version is still quite affordable for SMB. I believe anything under $1,000 is affordable if it is used daily and you have 25 employees. But I agree that ďdealĒ is better for 100 users.
3. 602LAN SUITE Groupware can run on Windows XP Pro/2000/VISTA. As SMB you do not need server operating systems, although I would not use these systems for more then 10-25 users. "Groupware SBS" version with some limitation and lower cost could provide more purchasing options.
4. I must say, that I like Software602 support. We started to use 602LAN SUITE in 2002 and now we just moved to Groupware. We also use Print2PDF SE. I usually used Software602 support only when I install new version but their response was all the time within few hours, not days I am getting from some other vendors.
  Posted by Peter Crown  on Friday, July 18, 2008 at 1:43:42 PM (EST)
Software602 Groupware Server 6.0 is out. Upgrade from 5.0 is free, upgrade fom 2004 starts at $99.95 and new server license with 10 users included is only $299.95.

http://www.software602.com/products/groupware/

Posted by Philip Lynch  on Monday, July 21, 2008 at 4:14:21 AM (EST)
Try Desknow, which I was told of on this forum we moved from Lansuite and never looked back does more things to.
BackBack to Groupware Server 6.0 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.