Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
GreyListing Add-on for LanSuite
  Posted by  Dean Watson  on Sunday, September 23, 2007 at 10:01:45 PM (EST)
I have recently implemented GreyListing using SMTP Preprocessor (freeware). This has allowed me to reduce the number of SPAM messages hitting LanSuite from in excess of 1000 per day to just 77 over a 2 day period. Initial configuration requires a little work, but once set up it works beautifully. The developer was extremely helpful.
  Posted by B P  on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 10:11:28 AM (EST)
Hi

Can you explain this a little bit. Since spam will still be around for a while, this seems like a very interesting solution.

Regards
Bob
  Posted by Dean Watson  on Monday, September 24, 2007 at 8:28:37 PM (EST)
Hi Bob,
GreyListing works basically by refusing the first attempt by a distant SMTP Server to send an email to a specific user on your SMTP Server from a specific user on their SMTP Server, telling it to call back after X minutes. As most spammers don't retry, you eliminate most spam immediately. By using WhiteLists of SMTP Servers you know, their traffic is not impeded. Similarly, by assembling BlackLists of determined spammers, you refuse their connection attempts completelty. The GreyListing software sits in front of your SMTP Server, cutting down on the workload of your SMTP Server as well. By changing the number of times a message must be retried before being accepted and the delay time for retries, you can eliminate all but the most determined spammers.
Cheers, Dean.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.