Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
AOL Blocking EMails
  Posted by  Barry Kucher  on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 7:28:26 PM (EST)
Has anyone else been blocked from AOL recently?

At first I was told we were failing reverse DNS, and I was told that we needed a PTR record created, so I had my ISP create a PTR record.

This is a header of the emails being returned:

Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s):

Failed Recipient: ##emailAddress##@aol.com
Reason: Remote host said: 421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE

-- The header and top 20 lines of the message follows --

Received: from mail.mycompany.com [###.###.###.###] by mail.myWebHost.com with SMTP;
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:47:24 -0400
Received: from USER ([192.168.###.###]) by mailserv (602LAN SUITE 2004) id 2cbabe44; Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:46:25 -0400

Before I had my ISP create the record it looked like this:
Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s):

Failed Recipient: ##emailAddress##@aol.com
Reason: Remote host said: 421 SERVICE NOT AVAILABLE

-- The header and top 20 lines of the message follows --

Received: from unknownhost [###.###.###.###] by mail.myWebHost.com with SMTP;
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:47:24 -0400
Received: from USER ([192.168.###.###]) by mailserv (602LAN SUITE 2004) id 2cbabe44; Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:46:25 -0400

Our emails are still being blocked by AOL. Of course our company president uses AOL, as well as his closest friends so this is a real problem.

We have been using this setup for over 4 years with no difficulties. It goes like this: We are running 602LanSuite on an internal server. The server connects to our webhost thru SMTP and collects all emails for our company in a bucket and then distributes those emails to our users.

We do NOT have MX records pointing to our IP, but to our ISP's IP.

I have been doing this for a long time, but I understand with the proliferation of SPAM, certain controls are needed, but what do I do now?

Barry Kucher
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 5:31:09 PM (EST)
Unfortunately, AOL can block any IP it wants. I don't know if there's a way around this or not, but you could always use your ISP's SMTP server as a relay which should work. Other than that, you could complain to aol's postmasters.
  Posted by Barry Kucher  on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 7:50:42 PM (EST)
We finally figured out what happened. Our email host upgraded his servers and changed IP addresses. Our webhost who had control of our DNS failed to update his DNS settings for our email provider.

While DNS was propagating, email was still working, but since we failed reverse DNS, aOL blocked us. Once I restored the DNS settings to our email ISP, everything started working withing 3 hours, and AOL accepts our emails. I also went to postmaster.aol.com and had our domain added to their whitelist.
  Posted by Scott Kelly  on Monday, February 12, 2007 at 11:41:55 AM (EST)
You could try to creat a SPF (Sender Policy Framework)TXT record in your DNS control panel if you have one that points to your PTR, MX and IP address
I.E. (v=spf1 ip4:82.63.41.57 ptr:your.domain.name mx:your.domain.name -all) please visit http://www.openspf.org/ for mor information this should fix the problem as aol needs to verify the ip addresses allowed to send emails for your domains. We have never had a problem since we introduced SPF.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.