Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
SMTP Anti Spam Blacklists
  Posted by  Mike Samulak  on Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 7:18:46 AM (EST)
I am trying to temporarily block emails from several senders (known to our company) due to a server problem at their end that re-sends 1000s of repeat messages. I tried using the blacklist within the SMTP Anti-Spam option, on the LS server software, however, it did NOT appear to work.

We collect our emails via a single POP3 mailbox, hosted by an external company, is this the reason why the blacklisting is NOT working?

Are there any other ways of stopping these specific messages from coming onto our LS server?

Cheers
Mike
  Posted by Stefano Fracasso  on Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 2:48:27 PM (EST)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Anti-Spam features only work for mail received directly through the SMTP server. This is because the CONNECTION is rejected, not the actual mail. If you are picking your mail up via POP3 collection from your ISP, this mail is not scanned for spam. You may want to talk to your ISP because a lot of them are now starting to use blacklists on their servers and perhaps you can get them to implement one for you.
  Posted by Stefano Fracasso  on Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 2:54:09 PM (EST)
You can find anti spam flow chart in ls2004 documentation
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Thursday, May 04, 2006 at 5:14:28 PM (EST)
Is your POP3 account accessible by webmail? If it is, you might be able to blacklist domains.

If I access my ISP's POP3 account via webmail, I can set up such filters.
  Posted by Mike Samulak  on Friday, May 05, 2006 at 5:02:26 AM (EST)
Hi,

Thanks for these posts and suggestions. I have managed to stem the flow by activating the personal blacklists within the individual user accounts (via the 602 Webmail anti-spam settings) and this now re-directs the mail into the junk folder.

This prevents the mail being delivered to the Outlook inbox (onsite) and allows the users who are offsite to access their Webmail inbox, without having to delete 100s of junk mails each day.

Our ISP (DSVR) does not have a webmail facility.

I have used their anti-spam filter (TrustedMail), however, we have been getting clients blocked because the mail servers they use (Wanadoo.fr - for example) are on certain RBLs (SORBS). Therefore I moved over to allowing ALL email onto L/S server and employing SPAM filtering within L/S Server and Outlook.

Just a shame I can't stop the emails from reaching L/S Server!

Thanks
Mike
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.