Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Outbound E-Mails Only Go Out on Startup?
  Posted by  Andy Trump  on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 5:44:29 AM (EST)
Hi there,

Something's up with outbound mail on my install of LAN Suite 2004 (2004.0.05.0803).

Outbound mail only seems to be processed on startup? If I restart the LAN Suite service outbound mail goes out fine but soon after the outbound queue begins to fill with mail that just sits there.

Any ideas where things might be going wrong? I can't seem to find a setting for sending interval?

Does LAN Suite just send when it's not doing other tasks? I'm wondering whether there is so much inbound mail that it's not getting the time to send?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Andy Trump
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 10:14:15 AM (EST)
I vaguely remember something about this from one of my clients a while back. We reinstalled the software from scratch and that fixed the problem. I think something was wrong with the queue, maybe a corrupted e-mail or the actual queue was damaged in some way.
  Posted by Andy Trump  on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 at 11:21:20 AM (EST)
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty new to LAN Suite (it's on a mail server I've inherited from the previous IT guy) so would be nervous about starting from scratch - we get quite a lot of mail and have a fairly complicated setup.

You mentioned it may be a corrupt outbound queue, is there no way of clearing that out without a complete reinstall?

Perhaps by stopping the server and clearing the LANSUITE\io\internet folder for example?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
  Posted by Andy Trump  on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 3:48:28 AM (EST)
I got an answer from support the solution proposed by them is that I need to uninstall, delete the LAN Suite directory structure and then reinstall LAN Suite and restore from backup.

Do you guys have any guidance on how this should be done please? After the reinstall exactly what bits of the directory structure from the backup should be restored?

Surely if I restore all of my backup I will be copying back the corrupted outbound queue? As far as I can see the outbound queue is the "LANSUITE\io\internet" directory - do I just restore everything but that directory? Or are there any particular files in there (config or whatever) that I *do* need to restore?

A prompt and detailed reply would be much appreciated as we really rely on LAN Suite and can't afford to be without a mail server much longer.

Kind Regards

Andy Trump
  Posted by Andy Trump  on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 10:43:18 AM (EST)
Ok, I've done a bit more digging and it turns out the main problem was a backlog of mail in the processing queue. LAN Suite is downloading mail quick enough but seems a little slow about actually routing it to the users mailboxes.

I guess the reason for the delay in sending mail was that it was attempting to clear the inbound mail first and as it was never finishing it was never getting to send outbound mail out.

All is well again at the moment, the io\internet folder is clear of mail most of the time and outbound mail goes fairly promptly but it sometimes looks like its on it's way to getting a backlog again, with mail accumulating and not going anywhere for a while.

I'm wondering if there is any housekeeping or whatever that I can do to get it processing the inbound mail a bit quicker? It used to work really well and I can't think of anything that's changed recently.

There's not loads coming in but it often sits there for a minute or so with inbound mail waiting to be routed to users mailboxes.

When there is no mail in there the io\internet folder contains the following files...

- 22 *.pmx files (named similar to my pop3 collection accounts, but there are a couple for each). Their date varies from last year to today.

- 3 *.pmc files (that look like some of my user accounts) dated last year.

Any pointers on speeding this up at all?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 11:49:33 AM (EST)
There's always going to be a slight delay while the mail is processed.

Every smtp server I've ever worked with has a delay because of how queuing works. Queuing mail servers usually do something like the following:

1. mail is received and placed in a received queue.
2. Mail remains in the "incoming" queue until the queue runners process the mail.
3. mail is processed and placed in the user folder/mailbox/file.

In my experience Lan suite's queue runners run about every 1 or 2 minutes or so, depending on system load. so the delay should never be more than a couple of minutes.
  Posted by Andy Trump  on Thursday, November 03, 2005 at 3:55:35 PM (EST)
Thanks again.

Are there any steps I can take to speed up that processing though? It seems to barely be keeping pace with the incoming mail at the moment?

How about those files in the io\internet directory? Are they ok or could they be causing extra processing? I note some are for accounts that have long since been removed.

Is there any other general housekeeping stuff that'll speed LAN Suite along? I'm doing a defrag as I read here that may help. The machine is doing nothing but running LAN Suite (and only LAN Suite bits I need) and is a reasonable spec. Any ideas for optimising it?

Thanks for any more info,
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.