Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Spurious crashes using POP3 over LAN
  Posted by  Damian Tompkin  on Thursday, March 21, 2002 at 8:08:48 AM (EST)
I am running LS2002 on Win2k Server. A few times each week when a client on the LAN picks up their e-mail using POP3, the server crashes with the "Blue-screen-of-death"

When the server restarts, if you attempt to re-get the mail over the LAN, the same thing will happen. The only way to clear the problem is to pick up the mail for the offending user using a POP3 client on the server. (locally)

Anyone else getting this one? I have no Idea what is causing it or how to fix it.
  Posted by Dan Ganger  on Monday, April 08, 2002 at 10:57:09 AM (EST)
Yea, My system does the same thing, and I have found if there is more than 63 e-mails in any mail box when you try to download them the server crashs (blue screen of death).
Still looking for an answer.....
  Posted by Ed Camp  on Monday, April 08, 2002 at 10:32:08 PM (EST)
Yes ! Had this prob for the first time today. I'm running under WIN98SE. IE5 & OE5 worked fine on the server. IE5 worked fine over the LAN, OE5 POP3 over the LAN would crash the server (blank screen ?) requiring reboot. I used OE5 on the server to retrieve the one message (only 3K in size), then it was OK. I sent messages up to 500M in size to test afterwards, and it works fine now ?
  Posted by Damian Tompkin  on Friday, April 12, 2002 at 12:40:36 PM (EST)
I have fixed the problem.
I decided that as Lansuite only crashed the server when a user picked up mail over the LAN then the problem may be related to the NIC. I removed the SMC TX1255 card from the server and installed a nice new 3COM server card.

Since then, the server has been completely stable.

Moral of the story: "Cornflake-packet" NIC's are just not worth the hassle, use a good one.
  Posted by Braden Connolly  on Thursday, June 27, 2002 at 8:15:38 AM (EST)
i havbe this problem, I can pin it down to a prticular email most times. Some sort of encoding the mail seems to make mine go tits up. Any ideas why? It's not my NIC I have a netgear in there.
  Posted by Douglas Morris  on Friday, October 18, 2002 at 3:33:04 PM (EST)
I have exactly the same problem. Delete a large number of emails through Webmail and it works.

This can't be right - a commercial product failing to handle large numbers of emails?!

Douglas (depserately looking for an answer) Morris
  Posted by Brad Johnson  on Thursday, June 05, 2003 at 7:05:55 AM (EST)
Damian Tompkin -

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I had exactly this same problem, it was driving me nuts. Switched NICs and bam! All 280 emails downloaded no problem.

(search engine fodder: bugchecker bsod crash reboot )
  Posted by Gregory Matoorah  on Friday, October 29, 2004 at 9:15:51 AM (EST)
Same problem seems to affect ALL lansuite builds. It seems to stem from the way Lansuite handles pop3 mail transfers to the client. I am running win2k server on a lan with 4 clents, I changed the nic to a realtek 8139 based product. Still the same problem. Webmail works fine so is definitely the lansuite pop3 handler. It could be that a malformed header in the email is causing the problem. Software602 needs to address this immediately as this points to a security floor in the program. Used build 0715 of 2004 and now on build 0909. Same problem.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2002 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.