Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Lansuite uses 100% CPU
  Posted by  WillemA. deBoer  on Sunday, July 31, 2005 at 7:49:24 AM (EST)
Since a couple of weeks, Lansuite latest version uses nearly 100% CPU on my server (Win2K advanced). downgrading to previous version does not help. Any ideas why?

Txs,

Willem
  Posted by Michael Miklasz  on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 at 12:44:15 PM (EST)
Highly unusual. Are you sure it's the server using all the resources?

I'm using Lan Suite on a 400MHz Win 2000 Pro box with only 192MB of memory with no problems (2-4% CPU usage).

First, I'd make sure I had enough free disk space (at least 20%). Then, I'd do a good defrag of my drive(s), including the MFT and Paging File.

Good Luck.

Posted by Andy Law  on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 8:36:29 AM (EST)
Hi
I get this problem too. I use 602 as a test email server on my development laptop.
The problem is intermittent. It seems to occur when my 1.4ghhz 512mb laptop gets busy doing some other task, and may be linked to the amount of physical memory.
I have tried the defrag suggestion and no difference. I have tried running the server as a service (normal) and as a client program and it still happens. The only cure is to abort the program and it usually runs at normal cpy utilisation until the problem occurs again. It is particulary frustrating on a laptop because it drains the battery (fans etc) when the program consumes 100% cpu.

Posted by Andy Law  on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 8:38:19 AM (EST)
ps - Windows XP Prof.
  Posted by Michael Miklasz  on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 9:26:21 AM (EST)
I HAVE been able to recreate your problem, and it DOES appear to have something to do with running concurrent applications. This is definitely not acceptable, and I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 10:13:31 AM (EST)
I've had little problem with running LS on a 2003 box. You say this has to do with cocurrent connections, of course you're going to use some extra CPU as you build connections, this is unavoidable. If you're using a built-in NIC, it will make it all the more noticable as most motherboards with on-board nics use the system cpu to process data.

This could also be caused by the windows firewall or some of the security stuff in 2003. I turn most of that stuff off and use the LS firewall and I don't have any problems at all.
  Posted by WillemA. deBoer  on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 10:27:17 AM (EST)
Txs for all the reactions. I'm glad Michael has been able to reproduce the problem. For the sake of clarity: It is (was) running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server, not 2003. It has been running without any problem for at least 2 years.
I switched off all Lansuite 2004's services like pop3, smtp, proxy etc. and still CPU usage was 100 %. Effectively, I cannot use the product anymore. My email clients are now downloading mail directly from the ISP's POP3 server, which is totally unacceptable in the long run.
On a sidenote, it started with Lansuite not marking emails on the ISP's server as read correctly. I leave all mail on the ISP's server for 4 days. Lansuite started downloading the same mails over and over, for no apparent reason.

Willem
  Posted by Michael Miklasz  on Monday, August 08, 2005 at 10:54:57 AM (EST)
This has nothing to do with mere concurrent "connections" but rather with running ANY other applications which may be CPU intensive. Even when these applications are closed, the Lan Suite server starts gobbling up the CPU time. If not the server itself, then one of its spawned processes.

I also have an Apache HTTP server, DeskNow Mail server, MySQL Server, Guild FTP server, CA Antiviurs, ZoneAlarm Pro and real time defragmenter running CONCURRENTLY on an XP box, and I can run an online game on it and when it finishes, no more than 2% of CPU is being utilized. This is a Lan Suite problem, and only occurs on my Lan Suite box. Coincidence? I think not.

-M

Posted by David Williams  on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 at 12:52:01 AM (EST)
I've had a degree of success with this problem - my CPU usage was only 75%.

Checking the call stack with PROCEXP showed that the threads wasting CPU time were doing RPC - the processes are always lansuits.exe and svchost.exe (Svcs: AudioSrv,Browser,CryptSvc,Dhcp,dmserver,EventSystem, FastUserSwitchingCompatibility,HidServ,lanmanserver, LanmanWorkstation,Netman,Nla,RasMan,seclogon,SENS, SharedAccess,ShellHWDetection,srservice,TapiSrv, Themes,TrkWks,winmgmt).

It seems to be processing IO events, or trying to.

It only happens when I'm connected to the net - otherwise the CPU usage drops to zero.

I tried stopping windows services that weren't absolutely necessary, some of which I think 602LAN started itself - RemoteAccess, ALG, messenger among others.

Also other background processes, like my UPS monitor & temperature monitor helped.

Doing that got the CPU down below 50%, and sometimes down to normal idle levels. Occasionally it will resolve itself eventually.

It's hard to say just what it didn't like as the improvement wasn't consistent for each service shutdown.

David Williams
  Posted by Andy Law  on Thursday, September 29, 2005 at 3:06:12 PM (EST)
Hi
I needed to reload windows since my last posting and upgraded to the latest version of LanSuite and the problem went away. Perhaps the latest version solved the problem.
  Posted by WillemA. deBoer  on Thursday, September 29, 2005 at 3:48:08 PM (EST)
So it might be something specific to Windows 2000?
Meanwhile, Lansuite has become useless :-(
  Posted by David Williams  on Friday, October 21, 2005 at 6:08:05 PM (EST)
I just replaced dial-up with a cable modem, and the problem vanished.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.