Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Server Sizing
  Posted by  Torsten RĂ¼ter  on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 3:53:11 AM (EST)
Hello Everyone,

the last questions should be solved soon and so a decision has to be made in the next few days. As I am satisfied with LanSuite I am defenately thinking of buying it for my commercial environment. To calculate the costs, I need some facts concerning the host system.
I am planning to use Mail and Proxy as well as FTP of LAN Suite for 50 Users. I'll also integrate the Content Protection, Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus. The System should be running 24x7 although most users will access it during normal working hours.
A sofar unsolved problem is VPN which I am planning to use for two roadworriors.
Could someone give me an idea of system requirements?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 at 10:51:32 AM (EST)
a fairly modern system should be able to handle this well--I'd go with a hyperthreaded processor since LS now supports it for nat and firewall, so you're looking at a 2.6ghz p4 or better. At least a gig of ram and a 200 or so gig hard drive should be sufficient.

I'd also go with using Windows 2000 over XP or 2003--it has less overhead.
  Posted by David Williams  on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 at 10:32:03 AM (EST)
I needed to get PPTP VPN access with LAN Suite over dialup recently and had no problems.

As long as your route table is correct for the VPN, and NAT and Proxy aren't denying it, it should just be a matter of opening ports TCP 1723 and UDP 1701, and protocol 47 (GRE) in the firewall.

I didn't have time to test at all, let alone properly, so I just changed the firewall to allow everything in any direction for the VPN gatewway's IP, the subnet of the VPN and my LAN.

It worked fine - one day I'll get around to testing the firewall settings to get it down to just what it needs.

From what I could find in the documentation, the only support for VPN is when LANSuite connects to it AND dials up via modem.

I guess the documentation needs work, since I got it working fine with the connection set as Permanent in LANSuite.

Regards,

David Williams
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.