Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
POP/SMTP Connection problems
  Posted by  Denis Scheidt  on Thursday, June 23, 2005 at 4:22:18 AM (EST)
Hello,

I installed, 2 weeks ago, the last LanSuite2004 upgrade (2004.0.05.0509), and I'm having trouble whith connections to my ISP's POP3 server.

First, my configuration :
- Free 5 users version, on a Windows 2000-SP4 Duron
- AVG 7.0, e-mail scanner not installed
- This PC is the gateway, so no other software is installed on it (excepted UltraVNC for remote administration, and AdAware SE for spyware scanning)

Everything worked well before the upgrade. :-(

Now, I get the following problem :
- The first connection LanSuite makes to the ISP's POP3 server works well, and messages are retrieved, but all the following connections will fail.
I found only one way to solve this : I have to disconnect the DSL line. LanSuite dials again, and then, the first POP3 collection works... but only the first...
I also get a socket message in LanSuite's log saying that the remote server closed the connection.

I tried to configure an Outlook Express to directly access the POP3 account when this problem occurs : it (sometimes) gives me an error saying that 'The account is already locked by an other server'...

I first suspected a physical problem with my DSL modem, but accessing the WEB, from the gateway or from another PC on the network works fine.
I removed AVG and LanSuite, and then installed them again (AVG first, and then LanSuite), but it didn't solve anything...

I have no idea on what is going wrong. I can't switch back to an earlier version to see if the problem is still occurring (I didn't keep the previous version :-( )

May somebody help me ?

Thanks

Denis
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, June 24, 2005 at 4:18:25 PM (EST)
If I remember correctly, doesn't AVG have some form of e-mail scanner? Try disabling it, as it might be doing something weird with the ports/communication.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Friday, June 24, 2005 at 8:47:09 PM (EST)
The last line in the log should be lansuite closing the connection.

When you do the connection the first time, do all the messages get download? Or are their messages still on the server when your ISP's server closes the connection?

I am just wondering if you are doing are having trouble downloading a message. Maybe you can shut Lansuite down, download all pop3 messages with an email client, and then start LANSuite again.
  Posted by Denis Scheidt  on Monday, June 27, 2005 at 6:57:17 AM (EST)
Hi Robert, Hi Russel,

Thanks for you answers.

When I reinstalled AVG, I did'nt install the e-mail scanner.
Before reinstalling AVG and LanSuite, I first removed AVG and tried to use LanSuite alone. But I got the same problem.
I also thought it could be the amount of waiting mails that may cause this problem. So, using the ISP Webmail interface, I killed all waiting mails and tried again. Same problem.

The log shows that the first connection is openned, mailboxes are checked correctly, and connection to SMTP servers is closed properly.
The next connections will fail, unless the DSL line goes down. The next first connection is then OK...

I have no access to this gateway at the moment, but I'll get the logs ASAP.

Thanks

Denis
  Posted by Denis Scheidt  on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 at 2:16:40 PM (EST)
Hi all,

I downloaded and installed latest build (2004.0.05.0623) this morning, and all works fine again.

Thanks for the time you spent on my (little) problem

Bye

Denis
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.