Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Swimming in SPAM
  Posted by  Stew Bottorf  on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 7:34:16 AM (EST)
Our mailserver accepted more than 20 emails per user of this weekend that were all in German with spoofed local email addresses. This amounted to more than 1000 bogus messages.

I've noticed many servers now test rDNS to eliminate this flood. Is there a SMTP/SPAM plug-in that can be used to control this unwanted traffic?

Thanks, Stew
  Posted by Ralph Phillips  on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 12:48:48 AM (EST)
That's what the blacklists do. Specifically, check the various dialup lists that are already installed with LANSuite.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 9:24:51 AM (EST)
I think I know of the spam you are talking about. We took care of this problem with training the bayesian filter to block the messages. I did some research online and found a article on yahoo news that mentioned this problem--it's neo nazi spam from a sober virus varient. If it's using random return addresses, the blacklist will be fairly useless, unfortunately.
  Posted by Stew Bottorf  on Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 1:02:01 PM (EST)
Your reply is exactly what we faced with different spoffed sending addresses. This has died down some but I continue to get flooded with 15-20 entries at once from blacklisted sites. I found manually adding SpamCop.net and Spamhaus.SBL added different addresses for the blacklists to do their work.

I researched services that check rDNS but they're too expensive to consider. Email can be nasty!
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 10:12:39 AM (EST)
We got this mail down to nothing at a client site in an afternoon by training the bayesian filter with all the spam like this they got over the course of about 4-5 hours. It was about 250 messages!
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.