Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Password Restrict Website Access
  Posted by  Eric Price  on Monday, April 18, 2005 at 11:18:31 AM (EST)
I would like to be able to restrict access to some sections of my website using password protection whilst leaving other sections open for general access. Is there any easy way to do this either with 602LS or another product?
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 at 8:12:13 PM (EST)
Well I use PHPnuke as web content manager, and that has built in login in feature. Other content managers also have login availablity.
  Posted by Ian Sandeman  on Saturday, April 23, 2005 at 5:30:35 AM (EST)
I think what we are looking for is like .htaccess file on Apache. How is the admin area protected? That prompts for a username/password, so it must be possible to implement this on any folder.

Ian
  Posted by Ian Sandeman  on Saturday, April 23, 2005 at 6:01:42 AM (EST)
I tried .htaccess .htpasswd setup but it does not seem to be supported in this environment.

Could try this workaround if its only files you don't want folk to see/download:-

In the admin/setup/www section disable directory browsing (to stop users seeing a list of files) then change the default index.htm to something like xxxx.htm so that index.htm is no longer the default page for each folder. Create folders and aliases that only you know the names of and when you want to look at/download them just enable directory browsing from admin control panel and switch it off again when you are done.

Bit messy, not ideal, but if you store a lot of stuff for access from anywhere then its better than nothing!

Ian.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 at 2:35:18 PM (EST)
www.bravenet.com has free services you might use. One of them a "password gate". Although they have free hosting you do not have to sign up for it.

The password gate hides the url behind a password. The free version allows you to protect up to 50 pages. Not the most secure protection, but it might meet your needs.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.