Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
DNS quiries fail???
  Posted by  Mohammed Abdulkarim  on Monday, January 31, 2005 at 11:16:26 AM (EST)
Any DNS quiries from the server to the ISP's DNS servers fail when the built-in firewall is ON. Outgoing mail gets stuck on the server and the following message is displayed on the log:
SMTP: Request for MX records for domain '"domainname.com"' has been unsuccessfull - will try again.
As soon as I stop the firewall, the server starts getting back the DNS resolutions from the DNS servers and mail starts going out.
P.S. Incoming mail works fine.
Any idea please!!!
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, January 31, 2005 at 3:10:00 PM (EST)
It sounds to me like you've got the wrong interface ticked on the firewall tab.
  Posted by Mohammed Abdulkarim  on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 at 4:26:18 AM (EST)
Robert, thanks for replying. I have no interface ticked on the firewall for the PC is on the public Internet and has only one interface and serving as mail server only. The firewall is set to custom settings, when I change the setting to LOW then it operates fine and DNS is not blocked, I think I should try and create a rule to allow DNS requests to pass through the Firewall, I appreciate some advise on this (i.e. which protocol and port???)

Regards.
  Posted by Stephan Lampe  on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 at 8:35:14 AM (EST)
How about protocol udp and port 53 ?

And allow that to your isp's dsn server i's
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 at 9:41:17 AM (EST)
Well, that's the problem, you don't have any interface ticked.

You have to select your internal network. These interfaces would be allowed to instigate queries for your DNS servers.
  Posted by Mohammed Abdulkarim  on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 at 10:09:47 AM (EST)
Robert, the problem came in since the last update. It never had an interface ticked as it is, as I said with ONE network card only and sitting on the public network. The server worked fine before with same arrangements, also it work now, when the firewall is set to LOW. This server asks ISP's DNS servers for name resolutions. Ticking the network interface means leaving the server unprotected on the Internet!!!, which I'm sure you wouldn't advise.

Regards.
  Posted by Mohammed Abdulkarim  on Tuesday, February 01, 2005 at 12:02:49 PM (EST)
Thank you Stephan, adding a rule for DNS on UDP 53 from computer to internet and UDP 1024-5000 from internet to computer worked just fine, problem solved. I don't know if there are any security risks involved in doing this!!

Thanks again to you and to Robert for your prompt response.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.