Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
eDock Server 2.1 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
eDock Server and CPU Utilization
  Posted by  Dave Spalla  on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 4:26:44 PM (EST)
I have a eDock server 2.1 installation running on a P4 1.8Ghz with a gig of RAM. OS is Windows 2000 server, with IIS.

I was able to get the software installed, configured and running without too much of a problem (the license process is a complete hassle) and was initially able to put about 25 files out for sharing. So far, so good. So, I asked a coworker to place an entire directory on the server. This would include subfolders and a few hundred files (excel, word, power point).

About 3/4 of the way through that, the server slowed to a crawl. Task manager shows that edockd.exe is using 100% of the CPU, and has been doing so for about 30 minutes. Stopping the edock server (via the task bar) does not stop this service from running. edockd.exe is using only a few MB of RAM, and the drives are not being read to or from.

I could use some help here, as I need to roll this server out asap.

Thanks,

Dave
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 5:28:47 PM (EST)
It's because of the files you're putting on there. The CPU usage will go down, edockd is the thumbnailing agent and once it finishes thumbnailing your uploads, processor usage will go back to normal.
  Posted by Dave Spalla  on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 at 7:27:58 AM (EST)
Is there a recommended way to place large amount of files on the server? When the server's CPU when too 100%, the client stopped responding and never recovered.

I let the server run for 10-15 minutes, generally how long would it take to add thumbnails to 100 files (for example)?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 at 4:00:08 PM (EST)
You can try adding a few files at a time which should help. It really depends on your cpu specs and how big or complex the files are for how long it would take to thumbnail. I have a client that uses edock for large (200+MB) images and it takes about 2 minutes to generate the thumbnails per image.
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.