Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Proxy issue question:
  Posted by  Ronald Stone  on Thursday, December 09, 2004 at 6:52:59 PM (EST)
Hi all,
I downloaded the LAN suite for use as a proxy server, because my wife and I use a fair amount of Telnet functions and the proxy we had been running (AnalogX) would randomly decide to disconnect one or both of us from our host.

Both our pc's are running W98SE and have a decent amount of harddrive space available. Using the Configuration Wiz, I THINK I've set it up right, and yet my wife is unable to access WWW pages.

Is there something I'm missing? (I know this sounds a bit vague, but my expertise in computers is not the greatest. Ya might say I know just enough to make myself DANGEROUS to the machine.)
  Posted by Jamie Mcclure  on Saturday, December 11, 2004 at 12:17:30 PM (EST)
When you say she can't access www does that mean that there is no internet on her machine or is it just the LS2004 stuff she can't get to?
  Posted by Ronald Stone  on Sunday, December 12, 2004 at 10:31:58 PM (EST)
She can't access the internet with her browser. I have the pc with the modem, and she's connected via a network card and crossover cable.

Posted by Jamie Mcclure  on Monday, December 13, 2004 at 8:14:02 PM (EST)
The broswer settings for her system probably have to be set to proxy for the IP address of the system that LS2004 is running on

For IE that would be under Tools-internet options-connections-lan settings at the bottom of the window and use a proxy giving it the ip address of the system where LS2004 is running. I use the settings software602 recommends.

192.168.1.1 with ports of 80 for everything except a secure which is 1080

Your system should be assigned an IP of 192.168.1.1 on it's own network card.

Sorry this is so complicated but I have found LS2004 to be rather un-user friendly with reguards to initial setup :) If you have any further questions please post here and I will respond :)
  Posted by Ronald Stone  on Monday, December 13, 2004 at 9:01:42 PM (EST)
I've set her IE as you suggested, and yet no result. Thinking I need to start checking around on my box and the Lan suite?
hmm...
  Posted by Jamie Mcclure  on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 at 5:48:27 PM (EST)
yes. I would follow the instructions contained in the downloadable pdf file or use LS2004's built-in help file. Setup for this program can be a major pain but once it works right it's pretty solid. You mentioned that you set her machine to the sugested?

Your machine should be set to something like 192.168.1.1 for your Network card. That assumes that your machine runs LS2004.

Her machine should be set to randomly select an IP for the NIC. Then you would configure the DHCP in LS2004 and it will assign her machine an IP.

I know this sounds complicated and it is but if you read the instructions rather carefully then I think you will be most satisfied with it
  Posted by Ronald Stone  on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 at 8:45:54 PM (EST)
I've been working with the tech from my isp (mw.net out of Indianapolis) and we spent the better part of 90 minutes (and about 4 restarts) trying to get this issue worked out. Granted, he wasn't specifically familiar with LS2004, but he believes that what is happening is that LS is not issuing an IP address to my wife's computer. The ip's that her computer shows in winipcfg are way outside the numeric strings he was expecting. His opinion is for me to ask her, is it possible that DHCP isn't working? I'll be downloading the owner's manual here momentarily to see if there's something in there that can help.
  Posted by Jamie Mcclure  on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 6:18:36 PM (EST)
yes, if DHCP wasn't configured properly then it's very possible. Look in the instructions for how to setup the DHCP and make sure your machine has a manually assigned IP address and her machine is set to choose one automatically.

If this fails then you can assign her machine an ip consistant with the range LS2004 is expecting and that should work for you :)
  Posted by Jamie Mcclure  on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 6:41:10 PM (EST)
you should also make sure that LS2004's firewall is not running. I never got that thing to work right on my home network
  Posted by Ronald Stone  on Monday, December 20, 2004 at 7:01:59 PM (EST)
Still giving me fits. My isp tech gave me a link to set up the DHCP ( http://support.software602.com/products/ls2004/installation.asp?id=3 )
And I admit it, sometimes I need pictures. But now I've got the DHCP set exactly like the screen shot here. But no go for my wife's computer.

My questions:
In Network properties on HER computer, I'm going on the assumption that I set the TCP/IP to automatically obtain an IP, which should force it to accept the one given by the LANSuite?

Should I set any of my network properties any specific way?

~or~ Am I totally barking up the wrong tree all together?

My continued thanks and patience with this, and Happy Holidays!
  Posted by Jamie Mcclure  on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 at 6:11:33 PM (EST)
You are correct :) Set her machine for automatic IP address and the DHCP in LS would assign it using any address from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.35.

Keep in mind that her machine should be shutdown and your machine running LS2004

But keep in mind that I have never run LS off a direct connect PC-PC. My systems are neted via network hub and I have recently downloaded the newest version of LS2004 and I could not get the DHCP to work either. This might be due to Norton Anti-virus and a corrupted OS on the server machine but I am still working on it.

Please don't give up :)
  Posted by Ronald Stone  on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 at 6:27:47 AM (EST)
Just a quick fyi and thank you.

We have LS2004 running successfully with only one tiny fudge on our part.

My friend Eric at MW.net has been more than happy to help us figure some of these things out, and for the longest time he would work with me on it over the phone. Finally he said he either needed to come to our house or I needed to bring both pc's to his office. So off to Indianapolis we went.

Eric, along with one of the system admins, tinkered and fiddled with it for the better part of an hour. Just as I returned from a necessity break, I hear Eric exclaiming, "What did you do? What did you do??" At first I thought they'd crashed one of the pc's, but rather, I come round the corner to find two pc's merryily surfing the 'net without a care.

The one thing we found we needed to do...LS doesn't seem to handle telnet applications like MUD games well (muds typically will have different port numbers, and LS seems to expect a constant port of 23) So Eric installed Putty (a telnet emulator) on my wife's computer and configured it to run on SOCKS so that it effectively bypassed the telnet issue.

At a point down the road, I'll be looking into a router and/or new pc's, but until that time LS2004 is proving very helpful in letting us both surf the web.

(I never did find out what Eric's system administrator did do...but I'm not touching the configuration again! He did have a rather smug smile on his face as he returned to his office... ;) )
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.