Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Email Viruses and LAN Suite 2004
  Posted by  Laphan Laphan  on Monday, November 29, 2004 at 6:34:24 AM (EST)
Hi All

Wonder if you can confirm what the implications are when LANSuite receives emails from external POP3 mailboxes, which contain virus attachments.

We have just put LANSuite 2004 on our Win2003 main server and when we started to receive external POP3 email from it, our Norton Anti-Virus Corporate Edition jumped up with a number of warnings saying that a virus was in LANSuite.

We have set LANSuite up so that all attachments are filtered/deleted from the messages before they are distributed to the end users, but what are the virus implications when these emails are coming from the external POP3 mailboxes to the actual LANSUite server itself?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Robbie
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, November 29, 2004 at 9:43:04 AM (EST)
Your NAV is picking up the viruses on the server or the workstation? You might want to configure NAV to omit the entire LAN SUITE folder and all sub folders in the lan suite folder. I suspect NAV is picking up the viruses as it is being written to the hdd, before LS has a chance to scan it.

I had a customer who had a different virus app but it was doing the exact same thing. I just omitted the LS folder and all subfolders from it's shield application and LS blocked the viruses no problem.
  Posted by Laphan Laphan  on Monday, November 29, 2004 at 3:18:26 PM (EST)
Hi Robert

Thanks for coming back to me.

LANSuite, Norton and all of our other important shared data is stored on the same Win2003 Server.

As I said before, LANSuite strips off the virus attachments before the messages are distributed to our client machines so this is fine. My worry is at the point where the mail is downloaded from the external POP3 mailbox downloads to the LANSuite on the Win2003 Server. Will this Win2003 Server be virus-ridden because of this action?

Rgds

Laphan
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.