Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Port already open
  Posted by  Darrell Harris  on Thursday, October 07, 2004 at 6:35:18 AM (EST)
G'day.

I'm using Lansuite 2004 at the moment, using a Winmodem. The problem I'm experiencing is after connecting, then allowing the connection to drop, then, later in the day, LS2004 dials in to pick up e-mails, I get the following log error:
3:30:06 PM DIAL: Establishing dial-up connection "MitchPICKnowl"...
3:30:06 PM DIAL: The port is already open.
3:30:06 PM DIAL: Dial-up connection "MitchPICKnowl" failed to establish.

I've checked your KB, and found article KB417. I'm using Win98 and not running LS2004 as a service. What can I look at? Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Darrell
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, October 07, 2004 at 9:56:49 AM (EST)
I think what this is saying is that something is grabbing control of your modem. Do you have anything else running that would automatically establish a connection to the Internet or a dial site (fax software, for example)..

It doesn't have to actually dial out, just grab the modem IRQ and make it look busy to Lan Suite.
  Posted by Darrell Harris  on Friday, October 08, 2004 at 2:16:49 AM (EST)
Hope not, as LS2004 is the only dialling software I have installed on there, unless I've scored some ad-ware from somewhere. The only fax software is LS2004's fax server function enabled. The other symptom I've noticed since yesterday, is I only have to close LS2004 and run it again (without re-booting) to clear the problem. All the same, I'll see if anything else is running as, being a minimally loaded PC, a virus or ad-ware application may have got in (ie: no firewall either, kinda relying on NAT for protection to the LAN...). IF that's the case, thankfully no e-mail client has been set-up either. Thanks for that. I'll let you know how I go.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, October 08, 2004 at 10:17:20 AM (EST)
Your hangup string might be incorrect, then. You can set this up either on the Modem Control panel or the Tapi tab in the Fax tab. Probably ATZ or ATH will be right, but you might want to check your modem manual for the connect hangup string.
  Posted by Darrell Harris  on Sunday, October 17, 2004 at 9:04:42 AM (EST)
Found the problem, but it's an interesting one. I'm using AVG antivirus to stop the PC with LS2004 being infected. No, I'm not using it to scan e-mails through LS2004, as it is the free version. Anyway, I turned off the scheduled scanning option in AVG, and LS2004 connects no problems. The only thing I can think of, is AVG may be crashing the Winmodem whilst scanning (triggered by its scheduler) for viruses. I'll invest in a hardware modem and keep you informed of any developments. Thanks for your help so far.
  Posted by Darrell Harris  on Wednesday, October 27, 2004 at 8:47:53 AM (EST)
An update: I haven't had a problem since I stopped AVG's scheduled scans, so I've concluded that AVG is killing the Winmodem! As soon as I allowed the scheduled scans, the problem re-appeared. Hardware modem... here we come!

Thanks for all your help in this matter.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.