Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
lansuitl.dll crashes
  Posted by  Lms Oid  on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 5:47:40 AM (EST)
Hi,

I'm using the free version of LANSuite 2004. My problem is that during http proxy request processing, the LANSuite service randomly crashes saying : "Faulting application Lansuits.exe, version 2004.0.0.1, faulting module Lansuitl.dll, version 2004.0.0.108"

My computer is totally stable and I didn't have this problem with LANSuite 2003 & WinXP SP1. I made a clean install of my computer with WinXP SP2 & LANSuite 2004 and since then the problem occurs. I made several tests and I can say that LANSuite never fails when it's in normal mode. The problem happens only when it's running as a service.

I suspected my LAN adapter or the drivers and so I tested locally by making the IE on the computer running LANSuite using 127.0.0.1:3128 as proxy : the problem still occurs.

I read on this forum a post from a user who seems to have the same problem but there is no answer to his question that can help me :

http://support.software602.com/forum/view.asp?id=13584&gid=13584&cid=112

Here are the main Apps I have running :

+ Windows XP SP2 (with firewall disabled)
+ Lansuite 2004 (last build)
+ Norton Internet Security 2004

Since I have a HT processor, Firewall in LANSuite is disabled (can't remember if it's usable in my free version though).

So if there is an idea on how to solve this... I can give some extra logs from the system event viewer or from LANSuite log files. However, I can say that LANSuite is the only application which have problems in system event viewer.

Best regards,

Olivier
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 10:01:30 AM (EST)
+ Norton Internet Security 2004

..that may be causing the problem. Have you tried disabling this, just to see if it is causing the crash?
  Posted by Lms Oid  on Monday, October 04, 2004 at 11:39:37 AM (EST)
Thanks for your response,

I will try to desactivate Norton this evening. However, I wonder if it can come from my rules for LANSuite under Norton. The fact that I don't encounter the problem when not running LANSuite as a service make me think that it does not come from Norton but let's give it a try.

I give you my Norton rules for LANSuite, if you see anything wrong.

Rules matched in order :

+ Allow all outbound traffic from LANSuite.
+ Allow inbound traffic for adresses 192.168.0.2 (client computer) and 127.0.0.1 (myself).
+ Forbidden all inbound traffic to LANSuite.

This config is perfect for me (works well and resist well to security test like the one from Symantec).

But is there any modification I should do for LANSuite 2004?
Should I accept traffic from other adresses?

Best Regards,

Olivier
  Posted by Virgil Long  on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 at 2:00:31 PM (EST)
I am having the same issue, with the same symptoms. Only crashes when setup as a service.

Posted by Lms Oid  on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 at 2:49:03 PM (EST)
My problem is solved but I'm not very happy of the way I solved it... It's by uninstalling LS 2004 and re-installing my old LS 2003 software on my WinXP SP2 / Norton Security 2004 system. Now it's working perfectly. Can't complain too much because I don't pay for this software (free 5 users version), but I can say I'm a bit disappointed by the 2004 version. I will look forward to see if the problem is solved in a future build. Thank you for your help.

Best Regards,

Olivier
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 at 5:10:18 PM (EST)
Did you even try to disable Norton Security like I mentioned? I know there are some serious issues with Norton Anti-Virus, so it wouldn't surprise me if similar problems are there with Norton Security.

If you enable the firewall, I don't think Norton security is even needed, albeit I tend to stay away from all Symantec products because of their intrusiveness, so I wouldn't know for sure.
  Posted by Lms Oid  on Thursday, October 07, 2004 at 2:12:58 AM (EST)
I didn't tried to disable totally for many reasons :

- I have a Intel HT processor so I can't use the LANSuite firewall.
- I paid for Norton and I didn't pay for LANSuite so if I must disable one application, it should be LANSuite.
- I tried to put LANSuite 2003 in place of the 2004 version and I don't encounter any crash. I prefer this version because it's Norton compatible.

My problem is solved for now (even if I expect a correction of the problem in a future build of LANSuite 2004).

Best Regards,

Olivier
  Posted by Bong Esguerra  on Thursday, October 07, 2004 at 3:04:18 AM (EST)
Try to restore the previous build. Because I got the same problem...then i restore the previous build..then it working ok now.
  Posted by Lms Oid  on Thursday, October 07, 2004 at 4:23:47 AM (EST)
Question to Virgil & Bong :

Are you using a Symantec product? Because the support here thinks it is the origin of the problem. You can confirm or not his theory.

To Bong :

Than you for you feedback. Seems that the problem is coming from that last build of LANSuite 2004. May be the devs will be able to analyse the modifications done since previous build.

Olivier
  Posted by Virgil Long  on Thursday, October 07, 2004 at 9:56:08 AM (EST)
In my case, no. I disabled all firewall protection. I tried your remedy last night and went to the 2003 version. So far seems to be working even with the SP2 firewall enabled. I am running this on a Windows XP multimedia machine. There is no option to disable the multi-threading, so I cant use the LS firewall. I have been evaluatiing proxies for several months, tried them all. LS seems to be a good package and am trying very hard to make it work. Im also using the free version but will gladly purchase if I can find a good quality proxy. By the way, because I live in the country I am forced to use dial-up.
  Posted by Marshall Lai  on Monday, October 11, 2004 at 4:36:20 AM (EST)
I have the same problem with the latest build (0909) of LS2004AV. I am running LS2004AV (unlimited) on a WS2003 with AVG anti-virus installed and it crashes very frequently (especially during heavy loads on the computer).

Since I don't have any Norton products installed and it is happening on a WS2003 machine, I think the crash is solely related to the latest built rather than the XP SP2 or Norton......
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.