Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Getting LANSuite to work with my DSL domain
  Posted by  Laphan Laphan  on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 at 6:19:35 PM (EST)
Hi All

Please help. I have a Win98 machine with LanSuite2004 installed.

I have just used ZoneEdit to point my domain to my static IP DSL.

I have port forwarded 25,80 and 110 to my Win98 with LANSuite on.

I set the MX record so that the mailserver (same name as my domain) pointed to my domain.

My PWS ASP web serving works fine, but how on earth do I get LANSuite to retrieve the email that is being pointed to my machine? Where do the emails float around whilst they try to get retrieved?

Thanks

Laphan
  Posted by Arno Brok  on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 2:10:54 AM (EST)
I am facing the same problem. In Zoneedit you can add your mail server but not sure if this is smpt. or pop. or something else!

Help is very appreciated here!

Regards Arno ...
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 10:10:57 AM (EST)
Try telneting to 25 and see if you can connect.

Port 25 is a very commonly blocked by your ISP. You might want to check with them to make sure that they don't block this port. you may also have a port conflict if you're running another smtp server or some anti-virus application that proxies the smtp port. I know Norton/Symantec AV does this.
  Posted by Laphan Laphan  on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 2:44:10 PM (EST)
Hi Guys

Thanks for coming back to me.

As for problems with my ISP, I don't think this is the case.

The problem is that I don't know how to set LANSuite up so that it retrieves this email.

LANsuite's POP3 asks for a mailbox username and password, which there is no setting for from ZoneEdit and LANSuite won't file with a username.

LANSuite's SMTP part doesn't seem to do anything either. The retrieve mail process says use ETRN and enter your domain name as the command value, but this whole process of retrieving mail from my broadband ISP doesn't seem to make sense.

Is it simply the case that LANSuite just can't do it?

Rgds

Laphan
  Posted by Laphan Laphan  on Thursday, September 16, 2004 at 3:20:04 PM (EST)
Arno - I've got the answer.

Basically you don't have to set up any smtp or pop3 settings in lansuite. You do the following:

1) make sure the mx rec is pointing to your static ip.

2) make sure the default domain is set to the same domain name as in zoneedit.

3) make sure that you aren't relaying to all and sundry.

Rgds

Laphan
  Posted by Arno Brok  on Friday, September 17, 2004 at 1:39:35 AM (EST)
Laphan, I hope you can help me with this one. These are my settings at Zoneedit:

Mail Servers:
Domain Server Rank
arnobrok.com MailForward™ 0
www.arnobrok.com arrnobrok.com 0

WebForwards:

MailForwards: New Address Destination
*@arnobrok.com arno@arnobrok.com

If you could email more details that would be great!

Regards Arno ...
  Posted by Laphan Laphan  on Friday, September 17, 2004 at 3:23:55 PM (EST)
Hi Arno

The plan seems to be as follows:

1) In the IP (A) section of ZoneEdit enter your www. in the first box so that you get www.laphan.com and your static ip in the 2nd box.

2) Basically you need to enter zoneedit's 2 name servers (they put these settings at the top of the page) as the name servers for your domain.

I use Nominet to change my name servers, but I know ISPs allow you to do this as well.

3) Delete your Mailforwarding option in your zoneedit rec. You don't need this.

4) Go to the MX section in zoneedit and for simplicity's sake enter your domain in both boxes, eg laphan.com and laphan.com. Nothing before the domain.

5) If you have already done the name server bit in as per point 2, the MX section can update in no more than an hour.

If you haven't already done it then you will need to wait upto 72 hours for this to all take effect.

6) Make sure that your NAT router/firewall (or whatever it is) is allowing ports 80 (web) and 25 (smtp) in.

7) Make sure that the default domain in LanSuite (located under POP3 tab I think) has your domain, eg laphan.com.

8) Using something like Mail2Web.com send an external email to yourself, eg info@laphan.com.

NOTE: obviously the info@ bit needs to be a valid LANSuite user for it to work seamlessly.

9) Via your client email program do a send and receive against your LANSuite local mailbox.

That should be it.

Let me know how you get on.

Rgds

Laphan
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Friday, September 17, 2004 at 3:24:17 PM (EST)
Looks like you do have an error in your zoneEdit setup. tried sending email to arno@arnobrok.com. It was bounced back with the following error:

arno@arnobrok.com on 2004-09-17 14:16
The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
< mail3.zoneedit.com #5.0.0 X-Postfix; user unknown in virtual alias table>
  Posted by Arno Brok  on Monday, September 20, 2004 at 3:40:40 AM (EST)
Well I got it fixed. I made a typo that showed up with this great site:
http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/mx-record-lookup.shtml

Then I deleted as you suggested the Mailfowarding and all is working fine now!

Thanks a lot for the help!
  Posted by Laphan Laphan  on Monday, September 20, 2004 at 4:18:16 PM (EST)
Hi Arno

Glad you got everything working.

Just out of interest, what are you going to use it for?

Do you think that an ADSL 512KB connection is sufficient to run a web server rather than an ISP?

Is it possible that the electric consumption of running a web server 24/7 on your PC is more expensive than paying for it to be hosted on a web server?

I'd like to read your thoughts on this.

Rgds

Laphan
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Monday, September 20, 2004 at 5:17:45 PM (EST)
ADSL of 512KB is likely your download speed. Is that kilobytes, or kilobits, big difference? What you need to look at is your upload speed, since you will be sending out more data than you will be recieving, by far. I can download at 350,000 bytes(2.8Mb) a second, but my upload is only about 40,000 bytes a second. So a 35000 byte graphic would take me about one second to upload(send), but only tenth of a second to download(receive). So your limitation is your upload speed.

As for cost, my computer is on 24 hours; cost is minor.

Posted by Laphan Laphan  on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 at 4:26:41 PM (EST)
Thanks for the info Russell.

I've been toying with the idea of hosting my own domain rather than through an ISP, but I didn't think my standard ADSL 512/256 1:40 connection would be good enough and I thought the electricity costs of leaving it on would outway my ISP outlay. Obviously it looks like it doesn't !!

Just as a final point do you know how a DIY hoster would register their own name servers rather than going through zoneedit?

Rgds

Laphan
  Posted by Christopher Groves  on Monday, January 17, 2005 at 7:46:22 AM (EST)
Hope this helps with Home Website.
I use Lansuite to host my own website and I use a DSL connection. 512k downlaod and 312k upload speed. It may not be fast but I don't expect a lot of users to connect at one time. For dial-up users it's more than adequate I reckon but as I never connect from a computer outside my network I can't tell. Maybe you could offer some assistance on that by checking it out?
I have a re-direct page on my ISP's Website at http://www.chrisg52.f2s.com which then connects to my own webserver.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.