Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Global Blacklist
  Posted by  Mike Sorensen  on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 10:54:24 AM (EST)
How do I setup a Global Blacklist when we are using the POP3 and not the SMTP. According to the SPAM flowcharts the Global Blacklist under SMTP setup is not used for POP3 collection, I have tried it in the past and it did not work for POP3 collection as stated in their documentation. Is there a way to have a Global Blacklist using POP3 collection as stated by one of the case studies on the site.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 1:41:25 PM (EST)
What case study are your referring to exactly? Maybe I don't understand your question but it sounds sort of rhetorical. "I can't do this, but I want to know how to do it anyways". In a way you answered your own question, so maybe if I explain the blacklists and whitelists work, it will explain WHY you can not do this.

The global blacklists and whitelistsare for SMTP connections, as stated in the documentation and on the web site. This means if you download your mail via POP3 from your ISP, the e-mail address/user/server who you want to filter out is NOT making a connection to LS and therefore it would NOT filter these messages. The global blacklists and whitelists accept or reject physical connections to the server.

Blacklists and whitelists aren't even an effective way to block e-mail in the first place. I can easily forge headers to make my mail look it came from any server and from any user. You should use Bayesian filtering, which will block much more of the mail and require much less maintainence.
  Posted by Mike Sorensen  on Friday, September 03, 2004 at 3:09:24 PM (EST)
Case Study: 602LAN Suite Reduces WLSI's Spam Count Dramatically at http://www.messagingpipeline.com/46200299 it states that they use a global blacklist and they pull using POP3 not STMP.

We do use the Bayesian filter and really I need a Global Whitelist to be used with the filter and not really a Global Blacklist.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.