Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Firewall Inaccessable during inactivity
  Posted by  Andrew Field  on Friday, August 06, 2004 at 4:21:20 AM (EST)
The lan suite 2004 software is great. But im having a problem where when the local lan is not used for 10 mins or so the external network is then shutdown until my next pop3 mail collection which happens every 15 mins. At which time the external network come backup.

How i am testing this is pinging the external ip.

WHen i did not have the pop3 mail being checked the extrernal access would stay down until the next day when work resumed.

This stops all mail from being received and remote access.

im using 2004.0.04.0723 version under windows 2000.

Any help would be appreciated
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, August 06, 2004 at 10:35:49 AM (EST)
Are you using a dial-up account or a permenant connection like a broadband connection/T1, etc?

If you're using dialup, your ISP might be disconnecting you for inactivity..You might be able to correct this by checking for mail more often, as this will basically reset their idle disconnect timer. A lot of dial-up companies do that because they oversell their modem racks.

If you're using broadband, I would assume you're using some sort of dialer application like PPPoE or something similar? The above might take care of that as well, but you might need to look around for a PPPoE keep alive application that will take care of the problem. I have a couple of clients that used PPPoE software in the past through a router, and the router came with this utility built-in.
  Posted by Andrew Field  on Friday, August 06, 2004 at 6:15:10 PM (EST)
No we are using 2 way Satellite from Bigpond in australia. I dont think it has a "heartbeat" or idle time out as it never really is out. you can still surf or whatever from inside and it is still on the net straight away.

What everthe problem is (either my system or the lansuite) i have worked around it by getting the pop3 mail to check 3 different mailboxes at 15 min intervals. I.E mail1 00:05 mail2 00:10 mail3 00:15. which then means the link will not be unused for more than 5 mins. So we will see how that goes.
  Posted by Andrew Field  on Friday, August 06, 2004 at 6:56:40 PM (EST)
just to let you know this did not help it still goes down? this is just weird.
  Posted by Andrew Field  on Monday, August 09, 2004 at 11:42:39 PM (EST)
Ok have found the problem (thanks to the support fellows). It seems that the admin console in the lansuite program shows something diferent to the web based admin.

Connection Tab in console is all greyed when perm connection is chosen but you need to either make sure all ticks are off before you choose perm in admin console or go to the web based admin and turn the inactivity timeout off also setting dial up schedule to be perm as well .

oh well fixed now !
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.