Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
SMTP Problem
  Posted by  Richard Pearson  on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 at 3:45:34 PM (EST)
Hi All

I am using LS 2004 and have a strange problem. I have been trying to get this working for a couple of days now with no joy. I get the same error using LS 2002, 2003 and 2004. I have reinstalled the OS and LS a couple of times with no joy.

I have 6 PCs on a network. One is a stand along PC running a USB ADSL modem and LS 2004. When a user sends mail to LS via SMTP LS accepts it. Now when LS tries to forward the mail to the ISP's SMTP server it pauses for 10 - 20 seconds and then I get a Winsock error. If I send a message to LS from outlook express on the server, the server forwards it to the ISP no problem. I get the same error using my ISP's SMTP server or just sending it direct. POP, browsing and everything else for the net is working 100% just not SMTP.

The KB says that there might be a problem with the NIC if you have winsock errors but if everything else works through the card then I doubt that this is the problem here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Richard
  Posted by John Greenbury  on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 3:11:55 AM (EST)
Richard,

If you get a good answer to this - please let me know. In the meantime, most problems in this area are occurring due to ISP's blocking Port 25 for SMTP. Check your ISP's website for extra info.

John G
  Posted by Richard Pearson  on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 3:45:45 AM (EST)
Hi John

The server is working OK on an existing machine. Due to the quantity of traffic I am trying to move it to a stand alone server. The PC which is running it at present is working 100% so I doubt if it is the ISP.

Will post here if I find a solution.

Cheers
Richard
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 10:40:29 AM (EST)
what exactly is the error you get? In my experience, the winsock errors i have seen generated by LS are usually the "Connection was forcibly closed by the remote host", "The remote server initiated a graceful shutdown sequence", or "Connection was reset" type errors. All of these errors are usually caused by the upstream provider, so I would venture to say you might want to check with them, they can look in their mail logs and see why the connection is getting dumped.

My guess would be it uses authentication on the RCPT From: command to insure it's the same domain name that they host, and you're using something different in your default domain, but I could be wrong.
  Posted by Richard Pearson  on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 12:01:56 PM (EST)
The error says "WSK Winsock error - Connection terminated by remote host"

I have copied the settings exactly from the old machine that was running LS so the config of LS should be OK. I will try sending to my SMTP server and then check the logs. Probably easier than trying to get the ISP to do anything.

Thanks
Richard
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Thursday, June 03, 2004 at 3:59:56 PM (EST)
One thing you might look at is the MTU size. I used to have a simular type of problem, and I hand to go into the registry and enter the the MTU reguired, instead of letting windows default it.
  Posted by Jan Vdberg  on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 at 5:47:34 AM (EST)
http://support.software602.com/forum/view.asp?id=4178&gid=4076&cid=5
  Posted by David Kusner  on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 1:04:19 PM (EST)
If any has a solution to this problem please let know, I have the same problem and would like to resolve it.
  Posted by Richard Pearson  on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 at 2:51:55 PM (EST)
I eventually got round the problem by removing Win98 and installing Win2K. I have used it on 98 plenty of other times but this time I eventually gave up. Have another problem now

http://support.software602.com/forum/view.asp?pgno=3&gid=13425&cid=112

Anybody ? Please.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.