Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Firewall and LAN
  Posted by  Leia Fee  on Monday, May 10, 2004 at 5:23:05 AM (EST)
Having trouble getting the LANSuite 2003 firewall to work and am about at the point or giving up and installing a third party firewall which would be a shame as the whole point of our using LANSuite was that it was an integrated solution.

Here's what I've got. All suggestions welcome.
---

THE LANSUITE SERVER SETUP

Windows 2000 (workstation)
1 NIC (internal interface)
1 external modem.

THE PROBLEM

Any firewall settings of medium or above causes the server to become isolated from the rest of the network.

Attempting to browse the workgroup produces the error
“The list of servers for this workgroup is unavailable”

Attempting to browse a shared folder produces the error
“There are no logon servers available to service the logon request”

Setting the firewall security to low works but extremely slowly--too slow to be useful really and the low setting does not provide the desired level of security anyway.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS

Things I’ve tried which didn’t work... Mostly based on posts in these forums from other people's similar problems.

Adding extra permission sets to allow local network access and file sharing.

Enabling the NetBEUI protocol.

Neither of these worked so were removed again for troubleshooting purposes.
  Posted by Andy Sharrem  on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 4:59:08 PM (EST)
Choosing 'High' security is your best option to start. This is the only default rule that specifies 'internal to this computer' and 'this computer to internal' rules.

You will then need to add The 'Windows sharing' rule and everything should work as expected.

Personally I would copy the default 'High' rules and replace all the 'this computer to internal' & 'Internal to this computer' rules with 2 rules that simply allow all protocols between the server and internal network. This will still leave you with 'High' internet security but no internal restrictions.
BackBack to 602Pro LAN SUITE 2003 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.