Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Network Administrator
  Posted by  David Wood  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 12:27:46 PM (EST)
Has anyone out there set up a VPN and gotten it to work?? Please let me know ASAP. Otherwise we will have to use something else for Internt Access.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 12:40:43 PM (EST)
What exactly are you trying to do? Incoming, outgoing or both? What server and clients are you trying to use? Maybe I can see if I can find you an answer if I can set up a client/server in my testing lab.

Ive not gotten incoming VPN to work correctly because of IPSEC, but Ive had outgoing VPN working just fine through NAT to a Cisco VPN, but have not tried it in some time. Id have to fiddle with it to get it working again in the lab.

I would imagine a mapped link would work too.

I have heard in this very forum that theyve needed to set the server to to accept NAT traversal to get it working. This is also called NAT transparency.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 at 5:32:22 PM (EST)
I have done some testing and the straight Windows 2000 VPN client DOES NOT work. I believe this is due to the lack of forwarding of Protocol 47 (not port, protocol), and/or IPSEC is messing it up. However, in searching the forums, I see some people who can get it working.

http://support.software602.com/forum/view.asp?id=9053&gid=9005&cid=8

Talks about Contivity VPN, for example. The VPN client will just need to be able to work over NAT..
  Posted by David Wood  on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 5:23:46 PM (EST)
We are just trying to connect to a sister company via vpn so that we can gain access to their AS400. It works if I disconnect the proxy and reconnect to the little linksys internet sharing router. If it is possible, the address is 12.31.44.50 with user id test and password test.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 5:48:39 PM (EST)
I believe the Linky routers use VPN traversal. What VPN client are you trying to use, exactly?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Thursday, April 22, 2004 at 5:53:32 PM (EST)
Oops, I mean it uses NAT traversal, not VPN traversal. I am pretty sure the NAT in LAN SUITE does not.

You know, if you have the router, you could configure your machine or machines that need to access the VPN to use the NAT router. Keeping your configuration the same in your browser and stuff will keep the users from using NAT to access the web via the router.

Further, you could filter all but the ports you need open in the "filters" tab on the Linky router to prevent users from going out on the router at all.

I use a BEFSR41 (linksys router) at home, been using it for years.
  Posted by David Wood  on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 9:01:07 AM (EST)
I am just trying to use the vpn client built into windows xp.... How would I set it up to use both the linksys and the lansuite box. We have one Cisco 2600 router with a T-1 into that??
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Friday, April 23, 2004 at 10:36:23 AM (EST)
There's two ways to do this really, and I don't know what's right for you based on what you're trying to do..

For both ways, you're going to have LAN Suite sit as a node on the network, rather than a gateway. As such, you should configure your server to use the Linksys router as a gateway.

Next, you configure the computers that need to use the VPN to go through the Linksys router. These computers are probably already set up to use the proxy for web services, so no changes need to be made ther. Now, when the user launches his or her web browser, it will go through the proxy (allowing you to log and block sites) and when the user uses the VPN, it will go through the router.
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.