Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Does DNSBL Anti-Spam work with POP3 email?
  Posted by  Dave Udit  on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 4:27:03 PM (EST)
I am using LanSuite 2004 on a small home network to collect email from my ISP then do anti-virus, attachment and anti-spam including DNSBL. The email that I am testing is our ISP primary login which receives only spam since we do not use the account otherwise.

MailWasher uses DNSBL flags these emails as "Origin Blacklisted". I have the same services checked in LS smtp anti-spam as MailWasher uses. I am not currently using Bayesian analysis.

Any ideas would be greatly apprecieated.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 12:32:31 PM (EST)
That's not the way the anti-spam works in LS. The DNSBLs reject mail AS THE CONNECTION IS MADE. Since you're downloading mail from one source (your ISP) it won't filter using the DNSBL. DNSBL will only work for mail received directly by LS's SMTP server.

Bayesian filtering and black/white lists will work for your particular setup.
  Posted by Dave Udit  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 1:18:50 PM (EST)
Thanks for your reply. I thought it might operate that way. It seems it might be a good enhancement, if possible, to allow the DNSBL processing on POP3 collections. I would want to reject any email coming from a black listed site without even bothering about the content. The spammers are always trying to disguise their email to circumvent any spam testing, but if I can determine that the email originated at a blacklisted site, it would not make may any difference what the email said.

Is it possible for this option to be included in a later release of LS?
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 4:44:00 PM (EST)
Well, the problem with this is that DNSBLs in LS actually block the CONNECTION, not the e-mail. I would imagine they would have to re-write the entire anti-spam section of the software in order to get it to behave differently.
  Posted by G B  on Sunday, April 25, 2004 at 7:36:41 AM (EST)
That sounds like a usefull re-write, as the spam problem is only getting worse.
Regards
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.