Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
602LAN SUITE 2004 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Struggling with Anti-Spam
  Posted by  James Chinnock  on Sunday, April 18, 2004 at 4:22:08 PM (EST)
OK... as per previous post I am using this software on a home network. So far consisting of a couple of PC's one designated as a server and connected via a wired/wireless router.

I have so far had no luck with the Anti Spam funtionality of the software. I am in the unfortunate position of receiving a considerable amount of Spam. I have been previously running SpamPal (which is excellent).

I would rather keep things simple and let LanSuite do all the work.

The problem is despite running the application for two days I have yet to see it block an spam e-mail. Everything is coming though. Spampal would have filtered it.

I am collecting my e-mail using POP and have the bayesian filtering activated. I have set up a Spam mailbox for the filtered e-mail to be sent to. Nothing!! No ** SPAM ** in the subject line or anything!!

I don't want to have to blacklist everybit of SPAM that comes through manually. Bayesian filtering seemed very effective for me with SPAMPAL.

I just feel I am missing something stupid here..... can anyone help?

Thanks.
  Posted by James Chinnock  on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 4:48:59 AM (EST)
Is anyone having any success using the facility?
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 11:04:24 AM (EST)
Have you been training the bayesian filter. I do not think it comes with any training at all.

I have had a couple of 'spam' mark mails, but only after I did a bit of training. Most of my 'bad' email is virus related, so it get thrown out by my antivirus.
  Posted by Mark Weyer  on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 1:17:29 PM (EST)
Does the baysian filter work when you collect mail using pop3? I thought it only worked when using the web mail built into LS. That is the only way I've seen it work. If I use outlook express for mail, I use another baysian filter (popfile). Which by the way works a lot better than what ever is built into LS.
  Posted by James Chinnock  on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 3:19:59 PM (EST)
Hi..thanks for replying....

That is what I am unclear on... is this thing supposed to handle POP3 filtering too? If not....very disappointing and back to SPAMPAL I go.
  Posted by Russell Waddington  on Monday, April 19, 2004 at 3:51:21 PM (EST)
Just tried it using PoP3 collection. Send some known spam from my work account. First time LS did not mark it as spam. So I press the 'JUNK' buttom to train the filter. Then I sent the same spam email a second time. This time LS marked it as spam. So it seems to be working with PoP3 collection.
  Posted by James Chinnock  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 4:58:46 AM (EST)
Thanks again for the reply.

What did you mean by the Junk button??

Don't you send to junk@junk?

Posted by Antonio Mouallem  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 9:56:37 AM (EST)
So far so good!
LS Spam control works pretty good!
Even when collecting from POP3 accounts!
Yesterday it cought 37 spam mails. (All verified as spam by me) I set the anti-spam feature to send all spam to my junkemail account. After a few days i go there and check to see if they all are really spam.
One more thing, or you send to junk@junk (works good) or you go to the webmail and click on junk button! Both ways work!
So far this month LS blocked 230 spams. I started using LS 03/25 so i'm still training bayesian!!!
  Posted by Eugene Reynolds  on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 at 10:43:31 AM (EST)
We are catching 200-300 per day , with the bayesian filter set at 50%.
So far it has not intercepted any "genuine" mail.
It takes a week or two to learn , & the more spam you send to it , the better the results.
There is a real need for an administrator master-list & keyword system on the Bayesian filter.
These may be in the latest update ,which does not appear to be documented as yet.
  Posted by Mark Weyer  on Monday, April 26, 2004 at 9:40:48 AM (EST)
If I use outlook express, the spam filter (bayesian filter) does not do anything. All mail comes through without adding the "==SPAM==" to the front of the subject. However, if I use LS webmail, everything seems to work fine. Does the spam filter work if you use outlook express? If so, will the filter only filter mail to mydomain.com or will it filter all mail from multiple pop3 sources?
BackBack to 602LAN SUITE 2004 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.