Software602 Home . products . download . support . register . how to buy . . view cart . . . contact us . . . .
Software602 Home . . . . . .
. .
Software602 Login
E-mail:
Password:
forgot?
Support Home .
User Forum .
Knowledge Base .
Submit Ticket .
View My Tickets .
. .
eDock Server 2.1 User Forumforum home | rss | search | terms of use
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
Waiting for Indexing??
  Posted by  Tom Nightingale  on Monday, April 05, 2004 at 3:40:08 PM (EST)
Wondering if anyone out there has come across this problem:

When my users add files to the Edock server through their local client tool, specifically excel,word docs and powerpoint presentations they can upload multiple files no witout problems. Then if you need to go and view which files you have uploaded using the client but viewing it through the web, you only see the default windows icon beside the file.

I know the type of file is not the problem here. If the user goes back into Edock through the Web and re-uploads the file through the web interface, the web interface will then recognize the type of file.

The thumbnail icon, however, still says waiting for indexing.

I know my users cannot afford to spend time uploading all of their files via the web client. I have to get the Local Client uploading properly.

My latest test proved that no matter which file a user uploads to the database through the local client, they are certainly able to open the file through the local client because of local file association rules. Howver when they try to open that very same document through the web interface it errors out saying no document found. I know the data is there and is valid data. Wow, please let me know if anyone out there has encountered this problem.
Thanks
(Frustrated) Tom
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Monday, April 05, 2004 at 5:28:46 PM (EST)
I have run across something similar and was able to fix it by just rebooting the computer which also restarted eDock Server. Apparently there was a memory contention problem between some other application and edock that was cleared right up after rebooting. I have only had to do this once or twice that I can remember.

It makes me wonder if you have some sort of permissions issue or something. Are you running edock as a service?
  Posted by Tom Nightingale  on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 2:36:14 PM (EST)
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, you are correct. A reboot has cleared up other things that would have normally slowed things down in the past. Edock support did send some me a little blurb about permissions, I will have to re-read that. Have you ever had a database that is just corrupted and beyond repair? I am just wondering if you have had to go through a restore from backup yet. The reason I ask is that my theory is all of my backups could be corrupted and thus doing a restore pointless.
  Posted by Robert Smith  on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 at 3:35:04 PM (EST)
I have not seen an eDock database go bad, but I've seen some pretty nasty oracle and mySQL errors. Usually just restoring the tables fixed the problem which is why backups are so important.

I've done restores when moving eDock to a different server and it wasn't bad at all. Took a little time (the client had about a 20 GB database), but it was pretty easy to do.

I tell my eDock clients to run at least 30 days worth of backups and to monitor their log files vigilantly to make sure nothing goes bad. Nothing is 100% reliable, but backups are good insurance.
BackBack to eDock Server 2.1 Forum
Add New TopicAdd New Topic
Post ReplyPost Reply
. . .
  © 2009 Software602, Inc. All rights reserved.